This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

What’s something that in one moment someone can make you feel amazing butterfly feelings, and the next moment they leave you feeling empty? This rollercoaster of emotions would be called love. There are always two sides to love: One side is beautiful and warm, but the other side is cold and hurtful. You can’t have one without the other, but going through these hard emotions will allow yourself to grow as a person.

One emotion many feel after a breakup is guilt. Whether that guilt is for allowing them to treat you the way they did or guilt for breaking up with them. Whatever it is, guilt mixed with sadness and other emotions can led you into a spiral. Here are some ways that can help you overcome these strong rollercoaster of emotions…

Find An Outlet

After a breakup, it is easy to suppress your feelings especially since all of these emotions are overwhelming at once. Bottling up these emotions can actually negatively affect your health. So having an outlet for these emotions is important for your physical and mental well-being. Some examples for an outlet are working out, writing, cooking, or anything else that can help you escape.

Get rid of it

Get rid of everything that reminds you of them. All of the pictures you have together, the gifts, the notes, anything that brings you back to that time in your life needs to be thrown out. Having things that remind you of them will constantly bring you into an endless cycle of missing them.

Take time to YOURSELF

Taking time to yourself will allow you to feel good about yourself again. Breakups can lead into a lot of self-doubt. You start to think “Was I not good enough?” or “Where did I go wrong?” Breakups are a part of life, and they happen so don’t question your self-worth. Allow yourself to have a self-care night to regenerate your self-love. You could take a bath, read your favorite book, have a spa night, or anything else that will ease your mind.

Be patient with yourself

You’re going to have good days and bad days, and that’s completely normal. I know you want every day to be a good day, but you need to allow yourself to have a bad day and grieve. Don’t pressure yourself to constantly have good days, it’s going to take time to heal.

It’s going to take time to heal, but you got this. Take this new found time to discover more about yourself. Also, remember you’re beautiful and loved!!

-Hcxo <3

Emily Harmon

Valdosta '25

Hey, my name is Emily Harmon. I’m currently a freshman at Valdosta State University, and I am majoring in Early Education. I am from a small town in Georgia, but I have moved around a lot due to being in a military family. I love plants, traveling, hanging out with friends, reading, and writing. As a young queer woman, I want to inspire and encourage others to learn to love themselves and to be who they are.