This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When coming back to school, we all have a long list of things that need to get done. Most of us can get it all done, some of us get overwhelmed and some of us don’t do anything and take our time like me. I should have used this list for myself because I have already started slacking and we are barely two weeks in. Here is a list of the top 5 things you should do first upon arrival to your home away from home.

1.  Get all your stuff in your room and put it up.

I took almost the whole week to put my stuff up because I didn’t make it a priority. The reason this is an important step is that once you get stuff out of your way, people can comfortably come over, you can see everything and you can have your room set up the way you like. It helps to have a clean start to the new school semester.

2. Get all your money and books in order.

School requires us to buy expensive books as soon as classes start, but our refund check or paychecks take weeks to get to us. I recommend you check out what books you might need, check the prices on at least two different websites and buy them according to your bank account and teachers’ recommendations. You can transfer money from your refund check to your flex or ask your teacher for help and let them know that you might not be able to get the book immediately. Make sure to put your book in a good place that is easy to get to.

3. Get your book bag together.

Most of us don’t do much in the first week of school but you can still get your book bag in order. Make sure to have a notebook or binder for each class; have your pens and pencils in there as well. My book bag is extra prepared. I have my notebooks and a pencil pouch full of pens, pencils, markers and highlighters. But I also have my phone charger, iPad charger, lotion, umbrella, gum, hand sanitizer and sometimes snacks. I recommend you print out your class schedule for your work, so you can be on top of it.

4. Go see your friends.

You’ve had a month without your friends, so go see them and catch up. Seeing my friends and knowing we are good helps me to feel like the year is going to be great. Socializing is a part of life, and if you need a little help with that, look at the next step.

5. Check-in with your organizations or look for a new organization.

Another part of college is being a part of an organization if you want to. It helps you to meet people that are into what you are into. I have made some great friends due to being in the same organization together. Check with your club to see what is new and when they are meeting up to start the new year. Most organizations have an interest meeting at the beginning of the school year. If you are looking to be in one, then look them up on your school website, find one that agrees with your beliefs and follow them on social media to know when their first meeting or first event is happening.

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.