Everything’s Changing but That’s Okay

Freshman year of college is FULL of feelings. You just graduated, said your goodbyes and packed up as much of your life as you could to head off to college. It’s a bittersweet feeling, knowing that you’re leaving a big part of your life behind and venturing off into the unknown. You could be feeling an array of things from nerves to excitement to plain confusion about what your future holds. I’m here to tell you that all of those feelings are okay to have, and they’re expected. Starting your journey into adulthood is a huge deal and can be a little scary. But you should know first and foremost that you’re not alone. Everyone on your campus is going through or has gone through the same thing, and there’s nothing wrong with feeling overwhelmed or anxious. 

If you’re feeling scared or nervous please remember that it’s okay to ask for help or simply for an ear to listen and sympathize. You can talk to one of your RA’s, head over to the counseling center or reach out to your roommate or other students in your dorm. This can be a great way to make friends, bond with others and establish a support system.

If you’re excited, that’s wonderful. Let that excitement fuel you to do your best. I don’t want to sugarcoat anything: college is going to be HARD, but if you put in the work and make sure you stay on top of your game, then that’s all anyone can ask of you. Hard work always pays off!

If you’re confused, that’s cool too. One thing you’ll learn as you evolve is that life is confusing as hell and sometimes you just have to ride things out until you get a feel for where you belong or feel the most at peace. 

So to finish this off, I just want to say have fun and enjoy your freshman year of college. Make smart decisions, take care of yourself and try your best. Lastly, don’t forget to call your parents; this is just as big of an adjustment for them as it is for you, and they miss you. 

--HCXO