Decorating: Make Your Place Unique On A Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Many of us rising sophomores and juniors are finally making that big step and moving off campus! No matter where you’re moving, you want to make your place unique and your own! Here are a few tips to getting your new place from “blah” to stunning.

Subtle things can make your apartment have more of a personality to it. By adding small touches of things you like and things your roommate(s) may like could have your living room full of life! Something to try is adding some color to your couch with pillows that you can either buy or make yourself. You can get some that accent your other decorations or you can add to the ones you have by putting cute buttons or bows on them! You can also go to your local Goodwill or thrift stores to find old picture frames that you can paint and make your own!

For those of you who are of age, decorating your wine glasses are good way to spice up your dishes. You can buy some inexpensive wine glasses from Dollar Tree or Walmart, get some acrylic paint and get to work! There are so many designs you can do and you could also give away some extras as presents. Be creative and have fun with it!

If you’re into dim lighting and candles like me, you can try out this next one which it’s not hard at all! Use some mason jars and glitter and make your own candle holders and/or makeup brush holder. I think I may use them for both!  Mason jars are also sold at Walmart or Dollar Tree. This cute design doubles as two things, which gives you more options for use!

Small things like clothes pin magnets for your refrigerator can be cute. Also, putting your favorite shopping bags on your wall and actually using them for storage can help your new place feel like home.

And dont be afraid to try your hand at painting some of your own paintings for your room or living room!

Be You! Be creative! And have fun! Remember you have to live there, so make it as comfortable as possible. If you need any more ideas, head to Pinterest.com for a little inspiration. There’s nothing wrong with adding a little sugar and spice to something that needs it!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.