Campus Curl Chronicles: Kanilyia “Kay” Grimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Kanilyia “Kay” Grimes

Classification: Senior

Major: Public Relations; AFAM studies minor

HC: How long have you been natural?

KG: I have been natural for 4 and a half years

HC: How would you describe your hair texture?

KG: My hair texture (by the book) is 4b/4c. Meaning I have the kinkiest of all the textures but also the most fragile.

HC: What is your favorite or most convenient hairstyle?

KG: Braid-outs are my most convenient. My favorite would be “Genie Locs.”

HC: Name some of your staple products. Shampoo, conditioner (deep), leave-in, etc…

KG: Since I became natural, Shea Moisture products have not let me down, especially the moisture retention line. I recently bleached my hair (it’s now red) so this line has done an exceptional job keeping my hair soft and moisturized.

HC: What is a wash day like for you?

KG: The first two years, wash day took literally all day. My Saturdays were gone but once my hair got longer (I guess the longer it got the easier it became to manage) it usually only took me 2 hours to wash, DC, and style. Now that I have cut my hair, the last time I washed it it took me 1 hour!

HC: What are some of the most common problems you face when styling your hair? How do you combat these issues?

KG: Living in Valdosta there is humidity year-round, causing shrinkage. So to combat this I found out I cannot just use JBCO (Jamaican Black Castor Oil) whenever I feel like it. I can only use it the night before while braiding up my hair for a braid-out the next day. While I’m taking my braids out in the morning I use very little water (in a spray bottle) and I use coconut oil for shine and to seal in my moisture.

Also, braid-outs can fail because your hair can still be wet in the morning, which will cause major shrinkage. I usually sit under a hooded dryer the night before to make sure my hair is at least 90% dry.

HC: What are two dos and don’ts when it comes to your hair? 

DO: Trim those ends.

DO: Deep condition once a week and Protein treat it once a month (especially now, since I have color-treated hair).

DON’T: Put off doing your hair for a whole week then, when Saturday comes, be mad because it’s now going to take forever to do.

DON’T: Become attached to your hair.

HC: Is there anything you want to try on your hair that is out of your comfort zone?

KG: Well I recently cut most of my hair off and dyed it but I’m still pretty comfortable just because I’ve been wanting to do this for years now. There hasn’t been anything I haven’t done to my hair.

HC: How does your hair make you feel?

KG: Very light.

HC: Any words of advice to ladies with the same hair type as you?

KG: Don’t become frustrated with those single strand knots (SSKs). Never pull them out because that can cause breakage so just leave them alone (I promise they won’t migrate together and form a giant knot). 4c hair is the most fragile so when detangling, take it easy and use PLENTY of water, conditioner, and oil mixes because otherwise you can end up with hair loss.

Valdosta State University senior, majoring in Public Relations with a minor in African-American studies.  Food connoisseur, beauty sleep expert, binge watching aficionado, and avid art consumer. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.