Campus Celebrity Matthew “Matt Jay” Francis ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

You’ve probably seen Matt Jay rapping at an event on campus, behind the scenes of one, or with his Alpha brothers on the yard. If you haven’t had the chance to meet Matt, take a look at this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Name: Matthew Francis

Age: 21

Major: Biology

Minor: Healthcare Administration

Hometown: Stone Mountain, Georgia

HC: What made you chose VSU?

MF: Honestly, I wanted to get away from the city. I feel like if I stayed home in Atlanta, there would be too many distractions. I can appreciate the slow pace in Valdosta. The weather is awesome, and my family is still close.

HC: What organizations on campus are you involved in?

MF: I’m a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Collegiate Men of Valdosta State University, Media Arts Geniuses, and Institute for Healthcare Improvement.

HC: What are some things you’ve learned since joining these organizations?

MF: The organizations have taught me how to hold myself accountable. I met a lot of friends, and like minded people in them as well. Most importantly, I learned how to keep it professional and handle my business.

HC: What do you feel is one of your greatest and most esteemed accomplishments?

MF: Coming to college in itself has been a huge accomplishment for me. I am the first in my family to go, and starting that legacy feels great.

HC: What are some of your dream careers?

MF: My biggest dream career would probably be a food critic; I’d get paid to eat good food, and give my opinion on it. I’d also love to be a rapper, or a sports doctor.

HC:Speaking of your music, what inspired you to start rapping?

MF: Well, I was in the marching band in high school. I started writing poetry, and that’s where the rapping started. I released my first mixtape last semester, and it was awesome getting feeback from people about my work. I have singles coming out soon, so be on the look out for that too!

HC: How would you describe your music?

MF: Versatile; I dont have a sound. I recall and use my past experiences to make my music relatable.

HC: What’s something about you that most people wouldn’t know?

MF: I really have an eye for detail. I like poetry and writing; I love hearing it. I like to paint, and try out different arts.

HC: Do you have a favorite quote?

MF: “Be the change in the world that you wish to see.”

HC: What are some words of motivation you’d give to yourself when you were younger?

MF: I would tell myself that no matter the direction I go in, just keep it moving. Just be the best that you can be, and if you give 100 percent, 100 percent of the time, everything will fall into place.

Follow Matt on Twitter and IG: @ihateMattJay!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.