Campus Celebrity Julianna Toney ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

If you haven’t seen this powerhouse beauty in person, you have definitely heard her name and seen her fashions around campus. Meet Julianna Toney, one of the top fashionistas here at VSU and our Campus Celebrity of the week!

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius 

Major: Interdisciplinary Studies with focuses in Art & Theater Arts

Classification: Senior

Hometown: Decatur, GA

HC: First things first, why Valdosta State University?

Julianna: I originally chose VSU for location and campus beauty. Then I fell in love with the Fine Arts department. 

HC: What all are you involved in and outside of VSU?

Julianna: Former member of Cheaux Love clothing team, VSU Theater costume shop volunteer, Mainstream Madness charity fashion show Producer/Director/Costume Designer, former BAYBS member, Designer and Creative Director of Creshé boutique.

HC: What are you most passionate about?

Julianna: Creating!

HC: When did you get into fashion?

Julianna: I’ve been interested in fashion and directing since I could walk. I volunteered at fashion shows in high school but I really started creating my own pieces and directing my own shows in college.

HC: What is something about you that most people don’t know?

Julianna: Most people don’t know that I could not sew prior to college. Everything I do is because I taught myself or I simply tried it and asked people around me for guidance. I also read a lot of books on fashion terminology, trends, sketching, and how to make various things. 

HC: What advice would you give someone who aspires to be like you?

Julianna: First, go for what you want no matter what people around you tell you. Everything is worth a try. Secondly, teach yourself. If you’re interested in something read up on it, research it. Use your resources. Lastly, meet people and network. Who you know is important in any field! 

HC: Favorite quote that you live by?

Julianna: “If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse.” 

HC: If you had to choose a color to describe yourself, what would it be?

Julianna: Mint green. Not only because it is my favorite color and I wear it often but because it describes my personality. Soft and subtle yet very fashionable; not too loud but draws people in. 

HC: What legacy do you want to leave behind?

Julianna: Mainstream Madness charity fashion show, the best fashion show that VSU has ever seen, directed by myself along with Kimberly Williams. I want people to remember this show, the influence of fashion design and the philanthropy behind it.

HC: What are your post-graduation plans and how do you plan to impact the world?

Julianna: I plan to use my creativity to work in costume design and high end fashion. I want to continue to put on fashion shows that display designers on the rise while giving back to the community.

HC: How did Mainstream Madness become and did you think it would be as successful as it was?

Julianna: Mainstream Madness started with me and Kimberly wanting to do a show to benefit others. We went to the same high school, and when we came to VSU we noticed that the fashion shows were not what we expected. So we decided to have our own and we strived to make it better than any show we had ever seen. We wanted to showcase real designers that were on the rise as well as talented students at VSU.

Kimberly came up with the name Mainstream Madness. The first show was more successful than we expected so we decided to do it again. Each show we have done has gotten better and better, and the college students really look forward to it. It was definitely more successful than we both expected. It’s great because we get volunteer hours for our nonprofitable gestures. I’m very happy that we both are doing what we love and people support us.

HC: What or who motivated you to start creating and designing your own pieces?

Julianna: I honestly had to motivate myself, because the people around me didn’t quite believe in what I believed in. Most people say that this field can’t make [you] money [and] artists don’t make money, but I am a firm believer of anything you do can make [you] money if you work hard at it. Passion and happiness is the key to success.

I’m very observant of the world around me and I noticed that every business needs an artist. As I began to know myself I realize how much of a creative person I am and that was what made me happy.  So, I motivate myself to express myself through creating my own pieces.

HC: Lastly, What is your definition of success?

Julianna: Success is a result of hard work. Success is being able to make yourself happy from doing what you love. It comes from within and it comes from the support from people around you.

HCXO!

My name is Anissa Yone' Williams. I am a Graduating Communication & Marketing major at Valdosta State University, who has a passion for Entertainment, Journalism, and Music. Twitter: @_AnissaaAmor Snapchat:AnissaaAmor Instagram:_AnissaaAmor
Her Campus at Valdosta State.