This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

If you know me, you know that I live in box braids, and that I wear them until it’s almost time for them to start dreading. I’m kidding! But seriously, I love them, they’re super convenient, they’re versatile, and it’s a great protective style for natural hair or any hair. This summer down here in south GA the heat seemed to be almost unbearable. Because of this crazy heat wave, girls leaned more towards short hair and box braids. You look left, right; everywhere you saw box braids or someone’s rendition of them. This hairstyle is very convenient, but you still need to show your real hair some attention so you don’t end up bald once you remove them. Here are a couple tips on how not to neglect your hair.

1. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize

Moisturizing your hair is probably the most important thing you can do to your box braids. By moisturizing the box braids you are also moisturizing your real hair. You do not want dry, brittle hair while your braids are in or worse once they’re out. That is just no bueno! Moisturizing is a MAJOR key. You can use creams, oils, sprays, whatever your preference may be. My favorite things to use are my African Pride Shea Butter Leave in Conditioner or my Crème of Nature Argan Oil Leave in Conditioner Spray. They both work marvelously and they’re also so affordable.

2. Wash Your Box Braids

It is okay to wash your braids. For some reason people tend to look at me funny when I say I wash my braids. I treat my braids like they are my real hair, so that means that I wash them and I condition them. I do not do it as often as I would my natural hair, but I do cleanse them. By cleansing your braids you are allowing your scalp to be freed of all the dirt and build up it has accumulated over the weeks or months which then promotes hair growth. And who doesn’t want long, healthy hair? It also removes unwanted smells that may be brewing from sweating and outside odors.

By doing these two things you will see a major difference in your hair growth once you remove your braids. I also want to suggest you use a moisturizing spray that is specifically made for when you are about to take your braids out. It makes the removing process so much easier by softening your hair, soothing the scalp and I tend to have less dandruff when I use it. The one that is my holy grail would be the Medicated Braids “Un-Braid” Spray.  You won’t regret it. I promise!

HCXO!

Hillary Griffin is a Business Marketing major and Advertising and Promotions minor at Valdosta State University. She is a 4'11, natural haired girl with a love for all things makeup. Experiencing life the right way is her main goal in life.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.