Artist Spotlight: DeeJay Hewitt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Name: Diamante Hewitt

Nickname: DeeJay

Age: 20

Classification: Sophomore

Major: English

Hometown: Panama City, Florida

HC: What do you enjoy being involved in at VSU?

DJ: I have been involved in KixArt as co-editor of the organization’s blog since 2014, and I earned my membership in MAG this semester.

HC: How long have you been rapping?

DJ: I have been rapping in terms of recording for three years, but rap has been my passion for five.

HC: Where did your passion for music come from?

DJ: My love for music was really ignited by my father, he’d always take me riding around the military bases we lived on and the areas around them. He would play music from his old set of cassette tapes and occasionally listen to some of the newer music that he happened to like. My cousins and siblings got me started on rapping, as many of them had done it as hobbies but never took it very seriously. Once they saw how I talented I was, they started pushing me to actually put my music out there. I had confidence issues for most of my life and they were at first the only reason I ever released any of my music, but now I recognize how talented I am.

HC: What inspires your music?

DJ: Unorthodox originated from me finally having confidence in myself. I’ve always felt like I’ve sounded different from the artists I listen to and those around me, and for a long time I thought I wasn’t good because of it. With all of the positive feedback I’ve received the last couple of years, I have no problem being different. A lot of the music on this mixtape is done in the mindset of being different, which is where the name Unorthodox came from. I wanted to maintain my hip hop vibe but create original songs about the way I see things in my mind’s eye. I tried to do things a little differently but still maintain the core components of my rap style which has a lot of hidden wordplay and lyrics.

HC: What are some of your career plans?

DJ: In terms of my music career, I’d be ecstatic if I could make it big with music but I’ve planned accordingly for if I don’t reach my goals. My plans kind of go hand in hand because whether I make it with music or not, I can go right in to teaching, which does just as much to influence people. I always felt like we needed more black males teaching our younger men. I do think I’m very talented though, so I do expect to be able to do great things through the music I create and the way people learn from me. I want to uplift the artists around me and put us all on the next level, if possible.

HC: What’s your long term goal?

DJ: My biggest long term goal isn’t to get signed; it’s just to be well known enough to be able to influence the world in a positive way. That’s all I’ve ever wanted. 

Well, there you have it! DeeJay is clearly passionate about his music and has some big plans in the future. He just released his mixtape, so if you’re interested or would like to support him click here

Her Campus at Valdosta State.