6 Marilyn Monroe Quotes to Live By

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Marilyn Monroe, now she was a Bad B**** if I do say so myself. She was beautiful, an actress, and became a symbol for woman today. As a fan of black and white photography, I love her pictures with the bright red lips. She has had some inspiring words attached to those that have helped women through hard break ups, discouraging work situations, and struggling self esteem. Marilyn Monore had something for it all. She was truly a boss lady.

“Don’t stop when you’re tired; stop when you’re done.”

Sometimes it can be hard to keep this in the back of your mind. Many times you feel overwhelmed, and like you’re holding the whole world on your shoulders all at once – but that’s not the case. Just remember to not give up at whatever you are doing, whether it’s school, work, etc. You are a STRONG WOMAN and can accomplish ANYTHING. 

“Strong women don’t have ‘attitudes,’ we have standards.”

Umm yes. How many of you are tired of being called a B**** or are said to have an attitude just because you may not want to go out with a random guy that came up to the mall or a club? Well let me tell you – you are not and you do not have have attitude. There is nothing wrong with having standards, especially at this time in your lives. It is true that women mature faster than men and they just don’t understand sometimes that you are looking further than the dating stage – all the way to marriage. Your standards should be higher is this is the case.

“A girl doesn’t need anyone who doesn’t need her.”

Ladies, this is important. Do not hold on to someone who is not respecting you enough to show the equal need for you that you show them. This can be your significant other, a friend, or a family member. If they do not respect you and your role in the relationship, then they do not deserve to have you in it. This goes perfectly with the next quote.

“Cutting negative people from my life does not mean I hate them, it simply means I respect me.”

Can I get an AMEN?! There is nothing wrong with putting YOU FIRST. It does not make you any less of a person – but the opposite. You are respecting yourself by cutting out the toxic relationships in your life so that you can flourish. If they have a problem with that, well that was the reason you were cutting them out in the first place. Sorry, not sorry.

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it’s better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”

You were made to stand out beautiful one so just be you. Don’t conform to anything else. Don’t worry about what anyone else thinks either. Embrace what makes you different because that’s what makes you special.

“I don’t mind living in a man’s world as long as I can be a woman in it.”

Unfortunetly, this is still a man’s world we are living in today. But that doesn’t mean being a woman in it still can’t be great. THE FUTURE IS FEMALE! I wouldn’t want to be anything else but a woman in this world, would you?

Marilyn Monroe was an icon then and she still is an icon now. Her wisdom continues to help inspire women through life and relatiionships today. Her words are definetly something you should remember and live by.

A senior at Valdosta State University, majoring in English with a minor in Religious Studies. Just a writer trying to spread the Word of Jesus at the same time. "When you pass through deep waters, I will be with you." -Isaiah 43:2
Her Campus at Valdosta State.