Life, Love & College: 5 Signs That You’re In The Friend Zone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Have you been crushing on your guy best friend, but have kept it to yourself for a while now? Whether you’re afraid of being rejected by him or scared you’ll ruin the friendship, you need to know where things may be headed! No one wants to accept being friend-zoned, but if it happens, you’ll know. Save yourself the headache, take caution, and heed to these warning signs.

1. Three’s A Crowd

Does he bring his crew around when he and you hang out instead of that one-on-one time you hoped for? Then most likely it’s because he looks at you as “one of the guys” *shocked emoji*.

2. “I Love You Like A Sister”

For most friendships, this would be significant, and a great compliment, but it’s just not quite what you were going for. When he introduces you to his family and friends, does he tell everyone you’re his “homegirl” or describe you as “like a sister”? This is a for-sure sign that your guy friend has NO romantic feelings for you. I mean, would you make out with your brother? Didn’t think so.

3. He dodges all your moves.

When you try to flirt with your guy friend, he’s more nonchalant about it than anything. He laughs off your charming attempts to get him interested because he’s more than likely just not that into you. Guys are usually aggressive and go after what they want; if he hasn’t approached you, he may have eyes for someone else.

4. Girls, Girls, Girls

If you’re talking to your guy friend and you notice he’s always asking you for advice about the ladies, no, he’s not talking about you.  And there’s probably a chance he has no interest in dating you either. Even more, if he’s comfortable talking to you about someone else, he’s definitely got other plans.  

5. You’re REALLY close

Does he pig out when you’re together or doesn’t mind letting one out in the car? You both are really close, and maybe too close. Don’t mistake his comfort for intimacy. When his gross habits come out and he starts doing all the repulsive things that make you cringe at the thought of it, just know that it’s time for you to end your fantasy, and quick! 

Her Campus at Valdosta State.