3 Things to Remember When Typing Your Resume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

The collegiate woman should always know the do’s and don’ts when building her resume. Although no resume is perfect, there are quite a few commonly overlooked mistakes that could potentially turn off your employer. Here are three major tips you should try to always remember:

1. Be mindful of your employer’s time.

A resume should not take more then 20 seconds for a potential employer to read through and be convinced of why you should or should not be hired. Long, lengthy paragraphs are not only not aesthically displeasing, but can sometimes make way for you to be repeitive.

2. Show knowledge of the industry

Employers usually like to cut to the chase. With that being said, the most important question your employer is asking is ” What can you do for me?” Using industry terminology shows that though you may not have worked directly in the industry,  you still know the in’s and out’s of it and can be an asset to their company. Employers want workers who can add to their company, not someone they have to reteach and coddle.

3. Never use outdated content and design

Employers sit and go through hundreds of resumes at a time. Having a dull, standard resume will not make your employer remember you, which can ultimately forfeit your job oppurtunity. Use an off white colored paper, scented paper, or a unique design that will be memorable!

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.