The 12 Golden Rules to Staying Safe During Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.
  1. First things first: However far you may be going, remember to buckle up. Not only for a safe ride but also because the roads are pretty hot during spring break — and tickets are bummers!
  2. When deciding where to stay, make sure you pick a place where you are comfortable and feel safe.  Try to make the adult decision to stay somewhere that is sanitary and livable, no matter how short your stay. Sometimes the cheapest option just isn’t the wisest one. When it comes to safety and your well-being, you do not want to be in a hotel in a bad neighborhood or somewhere susceptible to such things as burglaries. Also, upon arrival, be careful as to whom you let know where you’re staying. No matter how seemingly nice a stranger may seem, a stranger is still just that … a stranger.
  3. Don’t forget beach essentials such as cover-ups and sunscreen. Sunburn is horrible and could potentially ruin your entire trip.
  4. Avoid going out alone, especially at night. Travel in groups, and if any friends are intoxicated, keep a close eye on them because they are considered vulnerable targets to creeps.
  5. Always have a designated driver. Driving under the influence of any substance is never okay.
  6. Going off with strangers is also never okay. Although you’ll meet tons of cool people during spring break, knowing someone for a couple of minutes, a couple of hours or even a couple of days is not enough time to be fully aware of his or her true intentions.
  7. Keep a close eye on your drink when you’re out. Whether you are at a club or somewhere as simple as a new friend’s hotel room, always watch your drink. If you start to feel woozy, confused or have a hard time speaking after 
  8. not having much to drink, let someone you trust know because you may have been roodfied.
  9. When going to the ATM, make it a group trip. Have friends as lookouts when at ATMs to decrease the risk of burglaries. Try to cover the keypad if strangers are around so that no one steals your card information.
  10. Do not try new drugs. Spring break is not the time to try things that you have never done before, especially illegal things. It simply isn’t a good idea. If you do not have experience with something and aren’t sure of how it may affect your mind and body, please try and stay far, far away from it.
  11. Know your limit. When consuming alcohol, spring break is also not the time to get drunk to the point of no return. Alcohol can impair your judgment and make you more vulnerable to accidents and crimes. Remember if you’re drinking to always have a sober friend with you.
  12. Ask questions first, get naked later. If you’re going to hook up with someone new, protect yourself. And never, ever let someone talk you into doing something you don’t want to do.
Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.