10 Things to Do When There’s Nothing to Do During Summer Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Although we’ve worked hard and waited all year for our much needed summer break, there are many ways to make summer break not only relaxing but productive.

Internships

Internships are great because although they don’t always offer pay, they do offer experience and a direct view of what it is like to work the job you dream of. Taking up internships also looks awesome on your resume when you do eventually try to get that job you want.

Work

As we all know, college can be quite expensive. Although during the summer we like to take time off from the stress and hard work that comes with it, a job is the perfect way to take away a few of your financial woes. A job during the summer is perfect because the more money you make during break, the less you’ll have to work/make during the school year (if you save up).

Community Service/Volunteer

Helping out in your community is always an option when you’re bored. Volunteering at your local animal shelter, community center or even the Boys and Girls Club not only takes up your extra time but also helps you appreciate things more. Not only will you feel great about helping out, but it’ll also look good on your résumé.

Travel/Vacation

For most people, the ideal way to spend time during the summer is to get away to some far out beach, relaxing under the sun. Although many can travel afar to new destinations and countries, others can’t. But, there are other options for a vacation. How about planning a weekend road trip with your friends? Or maybe even a short cruise to a nearby island? There are plenty of small trips that could be planned for the dead days of summer.

Take Classes

Trying to catch up on credits or graduate a bit earlier? Taking summer classes is the perfect plan for you. Not only can most summer classes be taken online, but they also give the same amount of credits a regular semester class would.

House Work/Redecorate

Tired of sitting around the house doing nothing? How about fixing that creaky door that’s been irking your nerves whenever you come in and out of it? Or maybe spend quality time with your mom by planting a garden. There are plenty of ways that you can entertain yourself around the house!

Take Up a New Hobby

We all have our talents and things we love to do, but when boredom strikes, how about learning something new? If you’ve always been amazed by the sound of guitars, how about taking lessons? If you love watching tennis, how about taking some classes and practicing when the weather is nice? There are endless amounts of new hobbies you can take up not only out of boredom, but also to improve yourself as an individual.

Get Fit & Change Your Diet

Just now noticing that weight you gained during the school year? Sick of the unhealthy food you were constantly forced to eat in the dining halls at school? Well, school is temporarily over and now you can make your own decisions! Changing your diet is as simple as putting your mind to it, and working out is a great way to be productive during your free time.

Try New Things

It can suck to be stuck at home doing nothing during the summer, but have you ever thought about all the places in your area you haven’t been to? How about visiting that one restaurant you always pass but never thought to go in? What about that café/book store by the market you never glance at twice? These nearby places could possibly be the key to making your summer cool.

Start a Project

Still holding on to loose pictures from high school that are too memorable and funny to let go of? How about making a scrapbook. Another great time consuming thing to do during summer is to work on a project!

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.