Eight Things I Wish My Little Sister Would Let Me Say

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Hey Sister,

You and I are not your typical two-peas-in-a-pod. We are two very different peas traveling on two very different paths of life. We have both been pulled in different directions by opportunity and failure; heartbreak and happiness, success and passion; but after everything is said and done, we have always and will always continue to be there for each other.

We are three years apart and currently living two hours away from each other but despite the distance and age, we have found ways to make our friendship and sisterly bond stronger. I need you to know I put you on a pedestal high above anyone else in my life. Even though we are best friends, since I am your older sister I feel like I have an obligation to be a role model, too. I want to be a figure you can look up to and feel inspired by to make a difference in your life. Lately, I feel that I have been struggling with balancing the role of inspiration and best friend. At times I find it hard to sit and just be the listening ear you need without giving you my unwanted advice and “words of wisdom.” I know making mistakes and having to take detours is what will make your life your own, but if you find a few spare minutes to read some of the things I want to say, I think it will help transform your construction detours into breathtaking scenic routes.

1. I love sharing my secrets with you

Because you are my sister and my best friend, you have seen me at my strongest and my weakest. You know my vices and my obsessions. These reasons are why I love sharing secrets of my life with you. You are the only person in my life who knows where I have been and the obstacles I have had to overcome to get to the place where I am today. You don’t judge me, you only gasp or laugh, then proceed to make a sarcastic comment while I sit and wait for you to collect yourself so you can help me work through whatever it is that’s going on in my life. You are the keeper of my secrets and I fully trust you to protect them and never let them go. I also want you to know that I will always be the keeper of your secrets and I hope you feel that you can trust me and come to me with any problem or achievement you may have, big or small. You are one the most important people in my life and I want to make sure you know that your happiness and well-being are at the top of my priorities list. 

2. When I finally adopt a dog I expect you to shower it with love

I first want to thank you for taking care of my four-legged best friend after I moved to Milwaukee. You have done such a great job filling my shoes and making sure he is just as loved now as he was when I was home. Since you did such an outstanding job, I expect that when I adopt a dog of my own you show them the type of love only an aunt can give to their four-legged niece or nephew.

3. I want you to enjoy your life without boundaries

Please don’t ever feel fenced in by any aspect of your life. I don’t want you to be afraid to tear down the walls and run into the unknown with an open mind. I want you to live your life without unnecessary boundaries. You have yet to discover that there is more to life than what’s inside the small city lines of our hometown. I hope that if you ever feel trapped by your job, a boy or the limited opportunities of our small hometown, that you find the strength to let go of familiarity and take a risk. You deserve to chase after the goals you’ve set for yourself and the dreams you’ve envisioned. I don’t want you to ever think you can’t do something because of where you come from or the place you’re at in a moment in time. I will always be here to help you through any transition and will always be by your side to support your decisions in life, big or small; near or far.

4. Embrace what makes you different from everyone else

Don’t be afraid to dive head first into the things that make you more beautiful on the inside just because they are not mainstream. Do more of the things that make you happy and decline to do the things that don’t. Once you embrace the special, quirky, strange, delightful and unique qualities that make up who you are, you’ll begin to fully enjoy the things and people in your life that make you smile. Don’t be afraid to express yourself in your style, hobbies, friends, TV shows or whatever else you like to have in your life that makes you happy. You already are a fun, exciting person to be around but the more you embrace your differences, the more unique you’ll be. You have such a bright personality that’s bubbly and contagious already so I can’t wait to see who you blossom in to. Your big sister is the biggest dork there is so it’s only fitting you are too, it’s time for you to embrace that. Also, being serious is overrated. 

5. Don’t stop educating yourself

The world is a large place and expands outside of our small, country town. I know, crazy right? Do your best to educate yourself on world issues, national issues, local issues and other things that you hold near to your heart. Once you begin to educate yourself on the world around you, you’ll start to develop your character and discover who you are as a person. If you are passionate about something, read about it. Get to know as much as you can. You will be a force to be reckoned with if you’re passionate and educated. Share your knowledge with the people in your life, too. If you share, the more they know and the more they know, the richer your conversations and relationships will be. Plus, when you’re educated you attract other people that are educated. It’s cool to know what’s going on in the world and it’s cool to have people in your life that know what’s going on.

6. Your body is beautiful and I don’t want you to ever think it’s not

I always want you to look in the mirror and see your body as a work of art. I want you to see that your body carries the soul of a loving, caring, passionate and successful woman. It’s hard not to compare yourself to others but I want you to know that the people in your life appreciate you the way you are. If you’re unhappy with the way you feel in your body, you can always change that by eating healthy and working out; but, you shouldn’t do those things unless you want to. If you’re happy with who you are and you’re only feeling pressured to change the way you look because of girls you see on social media, then don’t. I only want you to do things because they will make you happier in the long run, not anybody else. 

7. Choose experiences over material objects

The best memories I have with you, our family and my friends are all experiences that money couldn’t buy. Save your money and do things with the people you love and care about because that’s when your favorite memories will be created. Skip on that TJ Maxx trip you don’t need and use that money to come kayaking with me in Milwaukee this summer instead. 

8. I want you to know that I love you

You are my best friend. You are one of the most special people in my life and I would drop whatever I am doing whenever you need me. I know we are in two different places in our lives right now, literally and figuratively, but I will always be here for you. I love you so much and I will always support you in whatever you do and wherever you go. I will always have advice you don’t want to hear but I hope one day you see that it all comes from a place of unconditional love and good intent. You have so much potential and I just want to see you realize your worth and all that you’re capable of. Always remember, I am just a phone call away. 

Meet Lauren Nelson: A woman with a humanitarian heart from a small town chasing after her concrete jungle ambitions.