Campus Profile: Teryn Bordwell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.

Meet Teryn Bordwell, a 22-year-old senior from Janesville, Wisconsin majoring in Journalism, Advertising and Media Studies with an emphasis on advertising and public relations! When she’s not sipping on a mocha you can find Teryn dancing for the Milwaukee Panther Dance Team or working as a Digital Communications Intern for UW-Milwaukee. This senior chica has got some tips and encouragements for the rest of you seniors & college students pushing through to the end of the semester! 

You’re graduating in less than a month! What are your plans for after? 

AHH! I just recently started training for a position as the Acting Marketing Coordinator for the Milwaukee Brewers. I will be filling in while the current one is out on maternity leave this summer. I’m super excited to see where this opportunity takes me!

If you could give any tips for college students pushing through to senior year what would it be? 

Try really hard to stay motivated. I know it can be tough, because the end is so near, but it is just important to work hard now as it was when you started. 

You’ve worked as a Digital Communications Intern at UWM for about a year now. What skills are you going to take away from that?

I learned how to successfully manage the image and brand awareness of a large institution. Not only have I learned new things about social media and digital marketing, but I have developed so much as a person professionally. I’ve been trusted with many lead roles on projects for the university and I couldn’t be more thankful for my time with the University Relations and Communications staff here at UWM.

What is your dream job? 

Eventually I want to be a digital marketing and PR consultant. I would love to be my own boss and have the flexibility to work from home, but I want to positively impact as many people and businesses as I can while doing so.

What do you do outside of dance and school?

Work! Just kidding, I try to spend as much time as possible with my friends and family. I love eating, watching movies, crafting and just having a good time.

Are you going to continue dancing after college?

YES! Dance will always be a huge part of my life. It is my passion. I feel best when I’m dancing. However, I think my performance days are sadly numbered. I would love to eventually teach dance again, no matter what level.

Are you staying in Milwaukee after graduation? 

Milwaukee can’t get rid of me that easily! I’ll be staying for at least another year, but ultimately my location depends on my career opportunities. (Although I could never move far away from my family!)

If you could thank anyone for your progress and success who would it be?

I would definitely like to thank my supervisor in University Relations, Tina Keller. She has taught me so much valuable knowledge in the last year. She created an amazing social media program here at UWM and has helped me prepare the most for my time after graduation.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? 

herYikes, that’s a scary question! In 10 years I will ideally be happily married with at least two kids, in a successful place in my career and in a house I can call a home. Let’s be honest, I’ll still be drinking Starbucks or Diet Coke everyday and running around like a mad woman over stretching myself, but that’s how I’m most happy.

Cailynn is currently an undergraduate student studying Journalism, Advertising and Media Studies at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Her adventuring began at an early age in Madison, WI and hasn't slowed down since. Outside of HerCampus, she also writes for the The Daily Cardinal, The UWM Post and Media Milwaukee. When she doesn't have a computer in front of her you can find her with a chai in one hand, her phone in the other, spending time with the greatest humans on the planet and laughing at her own jokes.