Campus Profile: Cailynn Hensen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWM chapter.
Meet, Cailynn Hensen, the Journalism, Advertising and Media Studies (JAMS) student who will give you a run for your money. Cailynn is from a small town right outside of Madsion, called Verona. Not only is Cailynn a fabulous writer but is the Her Campus at UWM Secretary! This girl has some great tips and tricks for future/current JAMS students here at UWM.

Why did you choose your major?

In high school I really found my passion for writing when a teacher of mine encouraged me to join the newspaper staff at our school! After working on that for 2 years, I knew it was something I wanted to pursue. I enjoy knowing what is going on around me & getting it out there so others are aware as well! I’m a very big people person so I think that’s why this major & I fit so well together. 

What’s your 5 year plan?

After graduation I hope to get a job for a newspaper somewhere! Preferably in Wisconsin, maybe in Milwaukee or Madison but I would like to get to know other areas of the state or maybe even Minneapolis. I enjoy writing about city news, which I do right now for The Daily Cardinal in Madison. I really enjoy that type of area but I am also a big sports person so I’d love to try that or anything really! I’m all over the board. My dream job has always been to work for The New York Times or even as a freelancer like Carrie Bradshaw but that’s a long shot! As long as I am working in print I think I’ll be satisfied! 

What advice would you give someone going into your major?

First of all, be open to anything! I thought I was completely set on print journalism all this time & now I am taking classes that have to do with broadcast journalism which I am surprisingly enjoying! If writing comes easy to you & is something you feel good about then this major is totally for you! News in general can be very interesting to get involved with but there are challenges that come with it as well. You have to have patience along with good time management skills in order to be successful. You have got to be able to push yourself to go out on a limb & expand your comfort zone which I still struggle with at times but seeing your name in print is definitely worth all of the hard work! 

Madison is your hometown, tell me about your transition to Milwaukee?

I have always been a city person who loves to explore & find new places, so Milwaukee was definitely a good choice for me in that aspect of things. My freshman year roommate has turned out to be one of my best friends, along with the rest of my roommates now so I’m very thankful for that! As for my major, I can’t imagine myself studying anywhere else! Milwaukee is full of journalistic opportunities & for that I am incredibly grateful! Milwaukee has brought a lot of good things my way!

Favorite place in Milwaukee?

I don’t think I can narrow it down to just one place. Like I mentioned before, I love to adventure. And I also love a good coffee shop. Lake Shore is obviously a fan favorite, but more specifically I love the Milwaukee Pierhead Lighthouse also know as the red lighthouse which is right by the Marcus Amphitheater! It’s just a good place to go to sort of get away from the city for a little! I’m also a huge fan of the Third Ward, it’s kind of like a little slice of NYC right here in MKE! If you haven’t been to Kickapoo Coffee you’ve gotta try it! Best chai around! 

Favorite Milwaukee study spot? 

So I am a typical white-girl in the sense that I am a Starbucks fanatic. I go at least once a day. Bad habit for a broke college girl. But anyways, my favorite location is the one in Whitefish Bay. So it’s not technically in Milwaukee being about 10 minutes away from the city but it just has a good vibe. I’m always able to get a lot of stuff done & actually enjoy being productive there so it’s a good place to study! My roommates and I highly suggest it! 

Tori is a senior at the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee where she is majoring in Marketing and Supply Chain Management with an minor in International Business. In her free time, Tori loves searching for the cheapest way to travel the world, drinking obscene amounts of coffee and read up on all the new fashion trends. Not to mention her love for Pinterest and attempting new DIY projects. Do you need travel inspo? Or maybe restaurant recommendations? Follow her on Instagram, @tori.sweeney !