Desk flatlay?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Desk flatlay?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

This Year, Set Smart Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Every new year seems like a chance to start again. We set new resolutions, get excited, envision our successes for the end of the year, and subsequently return to old habits thinking, “Oh well, there’s always next year.” New year, same trap. When you’re setting your goals for the year, don’t make the same mistakes—this year, set SMART goals. And by SMART, I mean specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and time-bound. 

1. Specific

Make sure to outline exactly what it is you’re trying to achieve—the more details, the better. Envision your desired outcome, know exactly what you want. Take time to write it out as well, in order to really solidify your objective. Answer questions like who, what, when, where, why, and (perhaps most importantly) how. When the guesswork is eliminated, you leave space for productivity and efficacy. 

2. Measurable

When you can measure your goal, you can keep yourself accountable and on-track. It’s also important to know where you are in your progress so you can see how close you are to achieving your goals, and subsequently keep yourself motivated to continue. Divide your time so that you are aware of how much you need to do by when. For example, if you’re writing a book, dedicate yourself to writing 1000 words each day, and slowly but surely you’ll get there. 

3. Attainable

For a goal to really stick, it must be attainable and realistic. Take into account your finances, your physical capabilities, your emotional and mental needs, and any other factors that influence life and therefore your goal. If the goal is too ambitious, it can inadvertently demotivate you. If it involves an immediate drastic change, it can ultimately result in a recoil-effect. So break your goal up into manageable and feasible chunks. If you’re trying to learn piano, instead of aiming to play Rachmaninoff’s Moments Musicaux in E Minor by the end of the week, set your sights on something you still find fun that doesn’t intimidate and frustrate you, so you can slowly and sustainably attain the skills necessary to learn Rachmaninoff’s masterpiece. 

4. Relevant

When planning a goal, it’s also important to make sure that goal is right for you, and that you’re setting it for the right reasons. For example, when I was younger, I constantly wanted to learn new languages. Among the many on my list, I wanted to learn Chinese, Spanish, and Punjabi. I was in love with the idea of being a polyglot, and while I still think it’s cool, it’s not for me. I can’t find the motivation to learn a language unless I need it in daily life. Really think about the goals you’re setting, why you’re setting them, how and why they’re worthwhile, and whether or not it’s the right time. 

5. Time-bound

This relates to having a measurable goal, and also functions as a way to motivate yourself. When you set a lot of achievable small goals (such as, taking from the previous example, writing 1000 words a day), you’re more likely to complete that small and manageable task instead of pushing back the intimidating long-term goal and letting other everyday things take priority. Having a tangible deadline can also work as motivation to ensure you accomplish your work. 

Setting goals and achieving them looks like a magic trick. When you start out, you often think, “I’m never going to be able to get there, it’s too impossible. I have no idea how to do this.” And when you cross the finish line, you think, “This is insane, I can’t believe I got here. I have no idea how this happened.” It seems like a magic trick on the surface because of the distance between here and there, but a small bridge with manageable goals always connects the two. You, just like everyone, can cross that bridge. This year, don’t fall into the murky waters—stay SMART, and make your way across.

Anna Karch

UWindsor '20

Anna Karch studies English, French, and Creative Writing at the University of Windsor. In her spare time, Anna enjoys playing piano, journaling, and spending time with friends. As an avid reader and writer, she hopes to continue writing in the future.