This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

“A jack of all trades is a master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one.” If I had to describe my approach to hobbies, this quote would best fit it. As someone who struggles tremendously with a short attention span, crocheting has become my unusual solution. I have a difficult time concentrating on movies without scrolling on my phone. I found that crocheting kept my hands busy and I could watch movies without any distractions. Learning how to crochet has been one of the best decisions that I have made. There are so many benefits to crocheting and it’s a hobby that I believe should be more celebrated and practiced. 

I learned how to manage my stress and anxiety through crocheting. I found that by being productive and keeping myself busy, I avoided mindlessly scrolling on my phone and feeling unaccomplished. Crocheting is rewarding because you get to see the results of the time you spent with every stitch. Moreover, it is extremely relaxing since it’s a period of time away from the world. When I crochet, it’s just me, my hook, the yarn,…  and maybe my cat too sometimes. The point is that crocheting has a lot of benefits and I believe that everyone should start crocheting!

There is a misconception that crocheting is hard or impossible when in reality it takes practice. My journey of learning how to crochet has not been a linear one. I originally bought all the supplies and was determined to make an amigurumi. I quickly lost all hope when my hands just weren’t working right. I hid all my crocheting supplies away in shame and thought I would put it all behind me. However, one-day boredom struck and I spent an afternoon watching hundreds of beginner videos and learning different stitches. I lost count of how many times I started over! I didn’t apply any pressure on myself; instead, I thought of the learning process itself as a part of the journey. The next day I made my first-ever amigurumi.

The point I am trying to make here is that hobbies take time and nobody becomes a pro overnight. Just because you aren’t good at something immediately does not mean that you should give up. Crocheting takes time and patience; after all, it is a rewarding craft. It’s important to approach crocheting with patience and the mindset of learning. Oftentimes new hobbies are abandoned in favour of staying in your comfort zone. I think it’s essential to pursue any and every hobby that you can think of, starting with crocheting!

Ayat Ibrahim

UWindsor '24

Ayat is a fourth year English Literature student, lover of cats, food and coffee. In her spare time, she can be found either reading or watching bad sitcoms.