Why Sausage Party was Horrific

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Image from HeatStreet online magazine. 

*trigger warning: sexual violence and racism          

On August 12, “Sausage Party” hit theatres, “[expecting] to gross over $34 million… the biggest ever opening for an animated movie in August” (Teodorczuk). The film, written by Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, Ariel Shaffir, and Kyle Hunter, was marketed as the comedy to see this summer. However, I (and many others) found it incredibly tasteless and offensive.         

Why should you care that I so strongly disliked this movie? Because the racism and sexism present in our society is, unfortunately, strongly reflected on various campus communities across North America. This movie, marketed as a “comedy,” not only encouraged such attitudes, but suggested that they are something to laugh at. Here are some examples of what the writers thought was absolutely hilarious:

There are at least two explicit rape scenes and several suggested rapes. In one, a douche sexually assaults a juice box causing death. Before raping the character to death, he says, “If you tell anyone about this, I’ll just deny it.” These words are echoed in various ways to real-life victims of rape. These words confirm the fear that many victims have about coming forward – that they will be accused of lying, blamed, and ostracized for a horrible crime done to them.

In another instance, the same douche sodomizes a man simply because the opportunity arises. His words this time are that it wasn’t what he had in mind, but “it would have to do.” In this case, the rapist has complete control of his victim; he is in charge of all of the victim’s movements. This is also reflective of the lack of control felt by victims of rape. The attacker is entirely in power and simply tosses the victim aside when they are finished.

Various jokes about racism appear as well. Tom Teodorczuk of the online magazine Heatstreet writes,

“an Arabic loaf of lavash (voiced by David Krumholtz ) riffs on the 77 bottles of extra-virgin olive oil awaiting him in the next life. Also causing offense is an Irish potato who sings [Irish ballad] “Danny Boy” and whose catchphrase is ‘Jesus! F**k!’… Salma Hayek voicing a Mexican taco, a Native American bottle of Firewater (which quips he had settled in the grocery store first before getting shoved in the backroom), and some Nazi German sauerkraut dedicated to ‘exterminating the juice.’”         

These are just a sample of the major issues of this supposed comedy. These elements are made worse because they are not merely a social commentary satirically criticizing modern society. They are completely glossed over by the greater plot of the film. Even though the rapist douche is eventually defeated, it is not for his crimes – it is simply because Seth Rogen’s character “had beef” with him. The racist behaviour of characters is just meant to get a laugh from the audience, nothing more.    

There are many campus movements at the University of Windsor working hard to fight these issues, such as the Womyn’s Centre, Young African Union, various anti-Islamophobic student groups, Walk Safe, and the Bystander Initiative, as well as many others. Both rape culture and racism can be fought through education. When pop-culture encourages these attitudes, they in turn encourage ignorance. People in high-status positions, as the writers of this movie are, should work to tear down these attitudes and behaviours. Many people look to pop-culture to decide what is acceptable and what is not. Therefore, not only is this writing offensive, but it is incredibly irresponsible considering its power and influence on society.

Works Cited:

Teodorczuk, Tom. “Seth Rogen’s Animated Food Movie ‘Sausage Party’ crashed by SJWs, Accused of Racism.” HeatStreet. 11 Aug 2016. Web. Accessed 23 Sept 2016.

“Sausage Party.” Rotten Tomatoes. Web. Accessed 23 Sept 2016.

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.