Why I Love Being a Language Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Oh, language. It’s an essential part of our existence, yet many do not see the importance of studying it. It’s not for everyone, but it sure is a lot more than just studying grammar.

Now that I’m in my second year as a French major, I have come to appreciate all that the program has to offer. This doesn’t just go for the French department though; I know so many English, Spanish, German, and modern language majors who appreciate their programs too.

A language major will learn a variety of different skills. I have gained a profound understanding of grammar, vocabulary, and various expressions of the language. I have read literature from years ago while noticing the subtle differences in the language itself. I have learned about the cultures that speak this language. I have learned the fundamental sounds that the language is based on and it’s linguistic capabilities. I have written so many essays of different kinds that I simply cannot count them. As you can see, I learn a lot more than just the language. I learn how to speak, read, and think in the language, but I also learn about everything that surrounds it.

For those of you who aren’t language majors, I challenge you to take a language course. Maybe just an introductory class, or even the mandatory English all arts students take, but I urge you to embrace all that comes with a language course. You will learn things that will apply to your everyday use of the language, and if you’re lucky you might pick up a few interesting expressions along the way.

My favourite part of being a language major is being able to form opinions and express exactly what I feel on the subject to my professors. It isn’t often that I only have to memorize material. Usually, I get to add my own analysis of things taken into perspective as well.

“The limits of my language are the limits of my world.” — Ludwig Wittgenstein

Amy N

UWindsor '21

Amy is a University of Windsor alumni. She loves to read, write, dance, eat chocolate, and organize anything she can get her hands on. Being bilingual, she developed a love for languages at a very young age.