This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

It’s officially been one year of me becoming a mentor with Big Brother and Big Sister, and I can’t stress enough what a wonderful experience it has been for me! Last year, I was constantly counting down the days until my weekly meetings, as well as researching fun activities for my mentee and I to do. Becoming a mentor has drastically changed my outlook on life and career aspirations. As someone who does not have a younger sibling, it felt wonderful to connect and make a difference in a young person’s life. I found myself leaving my weekly meetings delighted knowing that my mentee was happy and excited for our next meeting. I grew as a person and offered earnest advice. I learned so many lessons about how important it is to focus on the positive things in life, becoming a beacon of hope and inspiration. Becoming a mentor is about making a difference and being there for your mentee. It is more than just volunteering, it’s a life changing experience. 

My journey of becoming a mentor

In 7th grade, I had the amazing opportunity of being a part of my school’s Big Brother and Big Sisters Go Girls’ in school program. I was eager for Wednesday mornings every week! The program helped facilitate a warm welcoming environment; where I felt like I could be myself and connect with like-minded young girls. I made so many new friends and gained the confidence to be more outspoken. The program focused on helping young girls build a positive self-image by encouraging personal interests, strengths and creating a sisterhood. I distinctly remember thinking that I wanted to do the same thing for other girls when I was older.

During my sophomore year, I found myself looking for a meaningful volunteering opportunity that would help me make a difference. I remember my older sister recommending  Big Brother and Big Sister, so finally, after doing some research, I signed up. After interviewing and training, I matched with my mentee and we have been getting to know each other ever since, sharing laughs and stories. 

Lessons I learned

Since becoming a mentor I have grown a lot in terms of my own self-development. I became a lot more confident, articulate and organized. I definitely learned how to manage my time more effectively as a busy university student as well. Being a mentor has allowed me to think creatively and come up with new activities that would best fit my mentee. As an in school mentor, I find immense joy in helping my mentee discover new things as well as lending her a listening ear. I built a positive relationship with my mentee who constantly motivates me to become a better person. Becoming a mentor has been the best thing that I have ever done!

More importantly, Big Brother and Big Sister are regularly searching for new mentors who are looking to make a difference. They are very flexible and offer a wide variety of ways that you can get involved. It’s a great way to directly have a positive impact on the world, while growing as a person.

Ayat Ibrahim

UWindsor '24

Ayat is a fourth year English Literature student, lover of cats, food and coffee. In her spare time, she can be found either reading or watching bad sitcoms.