This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I know that most of you are looking at this title thinking, “What? How could anyone dislike Halloween?” But here I am! There are multiple reasons contributing to my hatred of Halloween, and most of them come down to the fact that I am a scaredy cat and practically afraid of everything. Still, there are other factors to influence my disposition towards the holiday: 

The Horror Factor 

Everything about Halloween scares me. From the ghost stories to haunted houses, it all makes me want to pee my pants! Throughout my childhood, I would refuse to put up any Halloween decorations or enter any Halloween themed stores because I knew if I did so, I would not sleep for the next 4 nights! It could be a Disney Halloween themed movie and I would refuse to watch it because I know it has the aspect of horror, however faint.

The Factor of Halloween’s Ego 

Another reason for me not liking Halloween is due to the fact that I think it takes away from Thanksgiving potency. This holiday (which is an actual holiday) is about giving  thanks for what you have and the people around you. It prompts you to take into account the amazing world that we live in. However, this holiday is shoved  out of the spotlight because Halloween is right around the corner. In comparison to Thanksgiving, Halloween isn’t even a paid holiday in which  the working-class receives a day off – as well as – the fact that you don’t get a turkey dinner at Halloween. 

The Morality Factor 

Growing up, we were always told to NEVER take candy from strangers and to be ourselves. Halloween takes all of these important lessons and throws them right out the window. Children go to strangers houses ASKING for candy, as well as dressing up as someone they are NOT! What are we teaching our kids? That it’s ok to go door-to-door demanding candy, pretending to be Spiderman? 

Yes, I am the biggest scaredy cat one will ever meet, but I just feel that Halloween should not be considered a holiday. Thanksgiving and Christmas are times where family and friends come together, and Halloween is taking the spotlight for those holidays away! Not only this, but Hallowwen is teaching children poor lessons about strangers.  

Hi, I'm Megan and I am currently in Family and Social Relations with a minor in Anthrozoology at the University of Windsor in hopes of becoming an elementary school teacher. I enjoy yoga, reading, and am an avid baker.