photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

What You Didn’t Know About Pokémon Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

If you grew up in the 90’s, you probably have a pretty good idea of what Pokémon is all about! From watching the TV shows, playing the card games, and playing the games on Gameboy Colour, everyone everywhere was exposed to Pokémon! In the game, you can select which trainer to be, go to separate locations, catch Pokémon, and level up the Pokémon. The main goal: gotta catch them all!

Now, in 2016, a new game called Pokémon Go was launched. It was just recently made available in Canadian app stores. Pokémon Go is Pokémon in real time; it truly brings the game to life. The concept is the same, but the Pokémon gyms are specific landmarks within your community. This is where you can catch Pokémon and battle other leaders. This is any Pokémon fan’s dream come true. It is a great way to entertain people, engage members, and keep gamers active in their communities.

But here’s what you may not have known! This new game is related to the theory behind the classic math problem that is popular in computer science: The Traveling Salesman Problem. TSP is based on algorithms and focuses on optimization. An algorithm is a step-by-step process to solve a problem while optimization deals with speed and efficiency. TSP uses algorithms to optimize getting to certain locations in the shortest time possible. It’s kinda like that thing you do while walking on campus where you mentally decide which path is faster to the building for your next class. Or when you use Google Maps to get to your friend’s house and you pick the route that is shorter. Below is a picture that displays the theoretical concept:

In relation to Pokemon Go, you have multiple Pokémon gyms and have to get to each location. The TSP problem and searching for a location on Google Maps can be used to find the fastest route to get to each Pokémon stop. This is an example about how TSP, Google Maps, and Pokémon Go are different concepts that can be connected altogether.

Simply put to get ahead of the game, you would ideally have to find the Pokémon stops, catch the Pokémon, and determine a route that is fastest to the Pokémon Gym locations.

So go on, Pokémon Master, you’ve gotta catch ’em all!

Melissa is a Social Work and Psychology student at the University of Windsor and just recently joined Her Campus! She describes herself as an empath, future thinker, and coffee connoisseur. Melissa enjoys staying up-to-date on the latest beauty trends, writing for Her Campus, hanging out with family and friends, and spending time with her Maltese Shih Tzu puppy. Contact: ristovsm@uwindsor.ca