What It’s Like to Shadow a Surgeon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

For all you pre-meds, and other individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in surgery, this article’s for you! Here are 4 common misconceptions people have about the profession: 

1. It’s not an episode of Grey’s Anatomy….

This is real life. You’re interacting with patients who are scared and hesitant. You need to be accommodating, and not be fixated on the fact that you’re going to get an interesting case of Necrotizing fasciitis (a flesh eating bacterium). Treat every case and every patient with the uttermost respect. Don’t groan because you’ve witnessed a dozen sebaceous cyst excisions, during surgical-clinic. Because attitude is key here. 

2. Don’t be grossed out by the sight of blood or other bodily fluids:

You will be witnessing lots of blood, abscesses, and other bodily fluids that gross most  laymen out . Make sure you eat, prior to early morning rounds, and that you don’t faint at the sight of blood. If you feel nauseous always let a nurse, or other surgical staff know right away. You’re not “weak” for admitting that you feel nauseous, because this is your first time witnessing a surgical procedure.

3. You won’t have a lot to do: 

You will be witnessing minor surgical procedures, observing, and taking notes. Ask pertinent questions, make sure you’re not distracting, and don’t talk a lot. Observe how the surgeon does things in their OR. Don’t offer medical advice to patients, because you aren’t qualified and it could lead to potential problems; however, you can help by offering patients moral support, and work on your bedside manner.

4.   Sit down and evaluate if you’re making the right career choice: 

At the end of your shadowing experience, make sure you evaluate and reflect on what you observed. Be willing to accept that you may or may not be a fit candidate for surgery. Always choose what works for you, and keep in mind there are other non-surgical specialities. Don’t give up on your med-school dreams just because you can’t be Meredith Grey irl.  

The take-home message is to learn, ask questions, and have fun witnessing the art i.e.  surgery and the surgeon’s technique. Good luck! 

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.