What to do When You’re Not in Love With Your Major Anymore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

I’ve changed my major 5 times. Yes, 5 times. I’m the queen of not knowing what I want to do with my life. However, my major has always been English and something. Except this year, I’m falling out of love with English.

This is a weird feeling for me. I can’t seem to convince myself to do my readings. My head gets blurry when I try to focus in class – when I do go to class that is. And I’m just not enjoying the subject. The weirdest part is, English was my passion once upon a time. So I don’t want to officially break up with it, but for now we’re on a break.

Taking this break, I’ll be able to explore my other courses and focus more on my minors. I’ll be able to have more time to explore my academic city and read some new books. I’ll be able to research other options for me that don’t include my first love. But I have a feeling that I will return to it.

Taking a break from your major may be scary and seem like a complete waste of time. But isn’t spending almost $10.000 a year a waste of money if you aren’t passionate about what it is that you’re studying?

So my advice, when you’re not feeling your major anymore is to skip it and move on. Explore other academic fields. Learn to love learning again. Not everything will be easy or come as naturally as your first subject, but it’s almost like learning a new language. You’re fascinated by having a new skill and the more you practice the better it gets, but you’ll always be fluent in your first language.

Stepping away from English makes me sad, but I’m hoping that our time apart will make me realize just how much I love it.

Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.