This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Travelling, undoubtedly, is expensive. We all want to travel the world at least once in our lifetimes, but as a student, this may not be the most realistic or possible thing to do. However, with a few money-saving tips and tricks, you can travel on a budget and have just as much fun! Below are some tips to get you started on perhaps the first independent journey of your lifetime:

1. Create a savings account.
    1. Most college students generally have a checking account but need a savings account. Put aside that extra cash and use it as a redemption for all of your hard work later on—this also keeps you from spending the money on unnecessary things. Budget; such as putting aside $5-$10 a day (think of it as the amount you’d be spending on a daily cup of coffee).
  2. Check for coupons (such as Cheap-o-Air or Groupon)!
    1. This one’s a given! There are so many sites that offer great deals and coupons, and sometimes you can even use your credit card points towards hotel reservations. Find cheaper flights, meal inclusive packages, and much more. In some cases, hotels have spare rooms and are willing to upgrade your rooms as well! Give it a shot and ask away!
  3.  Travel with friends.
    1. Travelling with friends can not only make the experience more fun and help you build memories, but helps you split the costs as well! Tag along with a group of friends and save some money, such as splitting the costs on a week’s stay at an Airbnb instead of paying it all by yourself!
  4.  Public transport is your best friend.
    1. Public transport can be one of the best (and oftentimes timesaving) methods of transport. A subway, tour bus, or train may end up less expensive than booking a cab or Uber each time. Tour buses are my personal favourite because you can get on at a stop, take a tour on the bus (and enjoy the double deck) with a tour guide, and get off at any stop that you’d like to explore (such as a museum, a tourist attraction, or for some food!).
  5. Establish a schedule with a realistic plan and daily spending amount (and stick to it!).
    1. Plan your time before your adventure. Research places you want to visit and incorporate commute times into it. Plan for food and what time you want to wake up and take advantage of inclusive breakfast meals if they’re offered! This makes sure you make the most of your day and don’t waste any time or wind up lazy. Research price points for your ventures as well for a general idea of how much you’ll be spending.
  6. Visit free, public landmarks.
    1. You can visit locations such as famous parks, trails, waterfalls, or hiking places for free. Some landmarks offer cheap tickets to get in as well and participate in their activities.
  7. Book your flights or transport tickets in advance.
    1. Booking prior to your travel date is much cheaper than booking last minute, primarily because there are lots of seats still available and less in demand. Book in advance and save yourself the headache of trying to find spots with skyrocketing prices.
  8. Travel off-season.
    1. Travelling off-season, again, helps to save a lot of money. Since not many people are travelling during that time, the demand is lower, and prices are usually a lot cheaper!

I hope you found some of these quick and easy tips helpful in planning your next adventure! Stay safe and happy travels, everyone!

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!