Three Adult Books from Your Favourite YA Author to Get You Back Into Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

New Year, New Reading Goal. If you’re like me, you may not have started the year off as strong as you hoped. If you’re in a bit of a reading slump and desperately wish you could go back to a time where you polished off books like you were at an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet, I have the next best thing: adult books from your favourite YA authors!

Chosen Ones by Veronica Roth

Remember when the Divergent series had the world in a chokehold? Me too. Veronica Roth’s new adult book, Chosen Ones, answers the age-old question: What happens to the heroes after the end of the book? Like, surely they have to have some issues; having to save the world as a teenager can not be easy on one’s mental health. 

Without spoiling it, I can say for a fact that this book will give you the answers you want, the twists you crave, and the begrudging protagonists you love!

Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Bardugo’s Shadow and Bone and Six of Crows series had BookTok in a chokehold, and rightfully so. Her adult series, starting with the book Ninth House, is, dare I say, even better? 

Following a student at Yale, this series has magic, secret societies, murder, and of course, a little bit of awkward college kid pining. 

Realm Breaker by Victoria Aveyard

Classic fantasy lovers, I’ve got you covered. Author of a pivotal series in my reading career, Red Queen,  Victoria Aveyard’s adult series, heralded in by Realm Breaker, answers the question: What happens when the hero falls? With bounty hunters, a sorceress, an assassin, and more, what else could you possibly want in a fantasy book?

Happy Reading!

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.