This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Even though I took summer classes this year, I still watched way too many shows in one sitting during this time. Afterwards, I couldn’t find enough people near me to fangirl with or just talk about the shows in general. So obviously, I now have to abuse my power as a writer at Her Campus to talk about what I liked and disliked about the shows I’ve watched.

I’m in no way, shape, or form a reliable film critic; these are just my spoiler-free thoughts about these shows!

Castlevania

Rating: 9.5 / 10

The series starts off with a trio who band together to defeat Dracula. Not only is the animation and voice casting fantastic, Castlevania’s ending satisfyingly concludes everything while simultaneously being slightly open-ended to let the fans’ imaginations run free. I absolutely despise when show finales end on a cliff-hanger, so this show definitely stayed on my good side. There were no unanswered questions to the ending, just endless possibilities of what the characters’ futures might hold. The show also features character tropes that are just *chef’s kiss* to me, such as the “I-hate-everyone-but-you” character, the femme fatale, and so on.

Macgyver

Rating: Meh, 6 / 10

This show follows the grandson of the original MacGyver, Angus, as he goes on covert missions with his team. The show was okay, nothing super special about it. To me, MacGyver is the kind of show that you don’t skip if it turns up on television, but isn’t a show you passionately follow. What I did like about the show was its diverse characters and science fiction (maybe real, who knows?) babble. However, I had to deduct points because the last episode left some questions unanswered which made it feel more like a season finale than a series finale.

The falcon and the winter soldier

Rating: 9 / 10

As a pretty big MCU fan, I was really excited for this release. It definitely did not disappoint, and I loved how it showed in depth what the world is like post-Infinity War. The fight scenes were really cool and badass, which is a plus. The show also touches on subjects that are relevant to real life, such as immigration policies and displaced people. I especially like that aspect because it makes learning about these issues a little easier, and the series helps show the different sides of a conflict. Not only that, the plot twist at the end had me shook, but it might also be because I was mindlessly watching it. I have to deduct a point though because the Winter Soldier really can’t catch a break huh?? Just let the man hibernate…

wandavision

Rating: 8.5 / 10

I’m slightly late to the party, but the show is definitely worth watching if you’re a Marvel fan! The production and CGI were incredibly impressive (as expected of a multibillion company), and I can’t stop obsessing over the costume designs. I would’ve rated the show higher if I hadn’t spoiled it for myself prior to watching it… At least Disney finally gave one of my favourite characters, Scarlet Witch, the screen time and character building she deserves! Overall, the storyline was well-written and I’m excited to see how this will progress into the sequel of Doctor Strange!

vincenzo

Rating: 10 / 10, better than The Godfather

Hear me out, I know The Godfather is a literary masterpiece and cult favourite. I’m not going to disagree with your opinions, but I wouldn’t rewatch it. On the other hand, I found that Vincenzo had the perfect amount of action, comedy, heartache, and romance for me. This K-drama follows a consigliere who returns to South Korea after being betrayed. The casting is spectacular, and I loved all the plots. The outfits the main female lead wore were also super classy and a part of my dream closet inspiration, so there’s that.

the way of the househusband

Rating: 9 / 10

The Way of the Househusband follows the day-to-day life of an ex-Yakuza boss who is now a househusband (duh) after marrying a salary woman. The show is based on the manga of the same name and has as much crack as you’d expect. The househusband, who once held the name of “The Immortal Dragon,” is the equivalent of a “I-love-my-wife!” type of character and I’m an absolute sucker for seeing couples actually in love on screen. The show is wholesome, weird, funny as hell, and just overall a cute show. The only reason I didn’t give it a 10 is because there are only 5 episodes out (please release more!)

Haikyuu!!

Rating: Unexpectedly good, 10 / 10

Haikyuu!! is one of the most popular animes out there currently, and now I totally get the hype. The show primarily focuses on a first-year high school student, Hinata Shoyo, as he learns to play volleyball and be part of a school sports team. I started the show not expecting much since I’m not into volleyball or anime, but I emerged a changed person after this. What I love most about the show is that it takes the time to focus on many side characters, making you inclined to get attached to at least one character. The only warning I’ll give is that there’s a lot of cringe and secondhand embarrassment from a bunch of teenage boys, but besides that I had pure joy watching this show.

No matter my complaints, I still had a lot of fun watching these shows and have definitely found some favourites of mine. Hopefully, this list might give you ideas on what shows to watch next!

Daphne Chen

UWindsor '23

Daphne is majoring in International Relations and Development Studies with an Economics minor in UWindsor. Her hobbies include painting, reading, writing, and learning about niche topics among other things. She hopes to one day be able to make a small difference in this world, but she doesn’t know when, what, and how.