The opinions expressed in this article are the writer’s own and do not reflect the views of Her Campus.
Recently I have started to become a podcast junkie. I have always loved watching YouTube videos in the background while I work, but I want to lower my screen time usage this year. YouTube consumes my phone battery but I feel like I’m doing something productive that isn’t playing on my phone when I listen to podcasts instead. I also find that I often get bored of my Apple Music playlist and want to listen to something new. This is how podcasts entered the picture. I find that podcasts are a productive alternative to watching videos or listening to music and they are a great combination to help me get my work done. A great thing about podcasts is that there are SO MANY genres to choose from! True Crime? Comedy? Motivation? Lifestyle? Career tips? Social Justice? Gossip? There is literally a podcast for everything. In this article, I have narrowed down my favourite podcasts I’ve been listening to, as well as my favourite episodes so that you can get a taste of each! This episodes are embedded using Spotify Podcasts, but they are all available on Apply Podcasts as well!
- Busy Blooming
Hosted By Tess Barclay
Busy Blooming was one of the first podcasts I checked out and I am loving it so far! Busy Blooming is a lifestyle podcast which is part of the overall Busy Blooming brand. Each episode features host Tess Barclay, the owner of Busy Blooming, as well as a lifestyle YouTuber and social media content creator. As well, another special guest is featured during the interview portion. Many special guests include lifestyle influencers and entrepreneurs, and they are always the perfect asset to each episode’s topic. Tess and Alexis (her part time co-host) are both extremely bubbly and inviting, and they make the podcast more enjoyable. It is also extremely motivating and inspiring to hear their stories. They almost feel like mentors to me as I enter my 20s and will likely experience the same things they have.
- Resetting for 2022, tips to set goals you will achieve + how to stay motivated in 2022 ft. Hannah Ashton
2. Diet culture and wellness in your 20s, productive morning routine + dating tips ft. Allana Blumberg
3. Staying productive and motivated, how to organize your life and balance it all ft. Julia Crist
- Morning Rae
Hosted by Allana Blumberg
Speaking of Allana Blumberg (aka Lani B), one of my recent faves has been her podcast Morning Rae. Morning Rae is a motivational podcast hosted by lifestyle influencer Lani B. On her podcast, she talks about topics such as morning routines, health, productivity and wellness. While I have binged most of her podcasts, I love that she releases them on Monday mornings because they are always the perfect start to the beginning of my week! Her voice is also super soothing and she adds a great calming background noise to my day. She has also had numerous guests on her podcast as well.
- Falling Back Into Routine for School
2. How to Be a Finance Baddie ft. Tea Angelos, Founder of Smart Women Society
3. come to bed and wake up with me
- Yeah, That’s Probably an Ad
Created by Adweek
Veering away from lifestyle pods, since I’m a literal advertising geek I have been thoroughly enjoying Yeah, That’s Probably an Ad (which I will now call YTPAA). YTPAA is an advertising podcast created by the brand Adweek, a company that analyzes and spreads awareness about recent ads, the advertising industry, and other pop culture phenomena that are related to advertising. Day to day, you don’t really think of how much advertising you consume. YTPAA really does the work of breaking down the ads we see, and just overall gives some clever commentary on the matter.
- The State of Streaming
2. The Little Lad who Loves Berries and Cream
3. Ranking the Celebrity McDonald’s Meals
- Guilty Pleasures
Hosted By Garrick Bernard, Kelsey Darrgh, and Zach Kornfeld
When I’m looking for something fun to listen to, I immediately turn to Guilty Pleasures for entertainment. Guilty Pleasures is a Comedy/Entertainment podcast that is hosted by 3 former Buzzfeed employees (including one from the Try Guys) and follows them as they talk about their favourite TV shows and movies and determine during each episode if the featured show or movie being discussed is a guilty pleasure, an actual pleasure, or just flat out guilty! Not only do the three hosts discuss their show, but they have many celebrity/influencer guests on the podcast to discuss their own guilty pleasure binges as well. While being very opinionated, this podcast brings a ton of laughs to all your favourite shows and movies!
- Jack Black is Hotter Than Jude Law In The Holiday
2. Addison Rae is America’s Sweetheart in She’s All That
3. Lana Condor Loves Too Hot Too Handle
- Speed Round
Finally, here are a few of my other runner ups, followed by a recommended episode:
- The Trypod – a weekly comedy podcast hosted by the Try Guys
2. Wild ‘Til 9 – a weekly lifestyle podcast with Lauren Riihimaki (AKA LaurDIY) and her boyfriend Jeremy Michael
3. Pretty Basic: a weekly lifestyle podcast hosted by content creator Besties Alisha Marie and Remi Cruz
4. Gals on the Go: a weekly lifestyle podcast hosted by Danielle Carolan and Brooke Miccio all about relationships, social media, and navigating life in your 20s