Netflix Brings Gilmore Girls Luke’s Diner To Detroit – Along With Free Coffee!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

As you may have heard, on October 5th Netflix transformed over 200 coffee shops in the U.S. and Canada into pop-up Luke’s Diners for the reboot of Gilmore Girls this November. The series premiered its first pilot on October 5th 2000 – exactly 16 years ago. As an obsessed Gilmore Girls fan, I made it my personal mission to find the closest one – which happened to be just across the border in Detroit, Michigan!

After successfully passing through border security we arrived in downtown Detroit. The pop-up Diner location in Detroit was at the Urban Café – a chic little coffee house with a sit down area upstairs.

The infamous “No cell-phones” signs from the show were posted around the café and we were waited on by charming baristas in Luke’s Diner aprons and logo hats. I may have broken the rules with my cell phone, but this was totally an instagrammable moment.

Here is our barista in action – brewing our coffee to perfection. He was rocking the Luke’s uniform and serving customers in style! Did I mention the coffee was free? Yes, it’s true and a very beautiful thing.

Coffee was poured into signature Luke’s Diner cups with logo cover sleeves – each cup had a coffee related quote from the one and only Lorelei Gilmore along with a snapchat code to unlock an hour long secret snap filter.

The premiere of Netflix’s new season of Gilmore Girls “A year in the life” will be released on November 25th – so enjoy that cup of coffee and save the date. Re-watch as many episodes as humanly possible until the return of the Stars Hallow’s favourite mother daughter duo!

Melanie Renaud is a second year Digital Journalism and Communications, Media & Film double major student at the University of Windsor. 
Alanna Keren

UWindsor '20

Alanna is currently a 1st year student at the University of Windsor pursuing a degree in Education. She graduated from the University of WIndsor with double major in English and French in 2018. She was Co-CC/Editior in Chief of HCUWindsor from 2015-2018 and is now the Tresaurer and Guidance Counsellor. She is a figure skater and loves to get in some extra ice time in her free time. Her favourite animal is a polar bear and her favourite colour is purple. She love sparkles. Her clothing style is girly and kind of dressy. Sparkly make-up and big earrings are a big part of her look. When she is not doing homework, working at her job at Tootsies Shoe Store, coaching figure skating, or writing for Her Campus, she likes decorating cakes and cupcakes and hanging out with friends.