Greece Santorini Travel Adventure Sunset
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

My Top Eight Greece Travel Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

While travelling to a new country can be a life-changing experience, it can also be overwhelming if you are unfamiliar with the language or are unsure how to go about planning your trip. Greece is known to be a top destination for young adults due to its stunning beaches and vibrant nightlife, which is why I compiled this list of my top eight Greece travel tips to make your next trip to Greece unforgettable. 

• Wear comfortable shoes

While this one may seem like a no-brainer, I was surprised by how many people I saw struggling up the cobblestone streets in high heels or shoes that fell apart while they were walking. I recommend bringing a pair of running shoes or flats as Greece is very hilly and you can expect to do quite a lot of walking. 

• Take advantage of the SeaJets

As island-hopping is common in Greece, there are a few different options to get from one island to another. I found the most effective way to get around was the SeaJet ferries as they are the fastest ferries and you can spend more time exploring the islands rather than sitting for hours on a ferry. It is not as cost-effective as some of the larger ferries available, but I found it to be worth it considering there are fewer people on board and you can get on and off the boat in less than five minutes. 

• Buses are a convenient way to get around the islands

I found buses to be a quick and effective way to get around the Greek islands and a cheaper option as opposed to taking a taxi. The buses ran all day and they were very clean and spacious. For just two euros we were able to get from one side of an island to another. Although you have to be aware of the schedule and bus routes, it was very easy to navigate and we ended up using the buses at every island we visited. 

• Try restaurants that are not on the main strip

Some of the best food we had in Greece were from restaurants that were slightly farther from the main strip where the majority of people go to eat and shop. Even walking just ten to fifteen minutes, we found places that were less crowded and had more traditional food on the menu compared to some of the larger restaurants on the main strip. With that being said, whether or not you choose to eat in a more “touristy” area will not make that much of a difference, as the food in Greece is exquisite and I enjoyed every one of my meals. 

• Pack light

This may be self-explanatory but packing light is essential if you are planning to go to Greece for longer than 2 weeks at a time. Having to repack your bags every few days when travelling between islands can get tiring, and it’s best to have extra room in your suitcase than not enough. As a result of overpacking, I ended up doing laundry once throughout my trip but I would’ve rather had a lighter suitcase and washed my clothes several times.

• Do your research before going to beaches

Because Greece has many volcanic islands, there are a variety of beaches you will come across when travelling throughout the islands. There are black sand beaches, red sand beaches, and the typical white sandy beaches. Some beaches have pebbles rather than sand, and I found those to be the least enjoyable out of all the beaches I visited as the stones get hot and make it difficult to walk. Another thing to note is that some of the more “well-known” beaches will charge insane prices to rent beach chairs and umbrellas and will most likely be more crowded and busy. It’s important to look into the beaches you plan on going to before making the trip, as there are a variety of different beaches in Greece and many different price ranges when it comes to beach resorts.

• Buy bottled water when you arrive to a new island

In many parts of Greece, drinking tap water is considered to be unsafe, so you can expect to drink bottled water at hotels, restaurants, and beaches. I suggest buying a few large bottles of water when you first arrive on a new island as well as smaller bottles to have with you to drink throughout the day. Something to note is that no matter where you go in Greece, a bottle of water will always cost 0.50 euros.

• Carry ample cash

While most businesses in Greece are required to accept cards, a lot of places will expect you to pay in cash and may also charge you less if you pay in cash, as this is the preferred method of payment in Greece. Having cash is also essential if you plan on taking the bus or a taxi to get around the islands. It is best to avoid having to continually use ATMs while in Greece because there are many fees involved and it will not be cost- effective in the long run. 

Julia Rubino

UWindsor '26

Julia is a Biomedical Sciences major at the University of Windsor in Ontario, Canada. She is a writer for HerCampus UWindsor, and loves to be involved in different clubs around campus. When she is not studying, she enjoys reading, writing, listening to music or podcasts and going to the gym.