This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

With September being half-way through and labs starting up, we are finally getting into the swing of things again. Think of a semester like riding a bike: the first couple pedals might be shaky, but you’ll find the rhythm soon enough. My toughest challenge when it comes to getting used to school again is studying. I have tried many different study methods but at the end of the day, the most important aspect to ensure I revise properly is a good location. I have had classes all over the campus, and in search of attempting to locate places to hangout between lectures, I believe I have found five excellent study spots that you should check out next time you need to hit the books.

Toldo Lancer Centre

If you’re looking to gain some early study hours on campus, this is the place to visit ! My best friend and I used to drive in together and she had to be on campus for 6:30AM practice. Luckily for me, I had the Toldo Lancer Centre. This building opens right at 6:00AM for those who use the gym and pool. Once you enter, if you go to the left up a small set of stairs, you’ll find some tables and chairs you can sit at. Personally, I like to follow the ramp up half-way and take one of those tables. It’s a good place where I can lay out everything I need, but know I won’t bother anybody near me. It can get very loud during the day so I recommend studying there early in the morning or late at night.

Human Kinetics

If you’re on the south end of campus and need somewhere quieter than the Toldo Lancer Centre, I have just the place for you. The Human Kinetics building is a great place with a variety of different seating options. If you’re looking for a nice casual place, head up to the second floor and off from the ledge, where there are a couple of couches. If you are looking for something a bit more private, down at the end of the hall from the couches you’ll see an office chair and a desk. It is an incredibly comfortable chair and the desk is plenty spacious. There is only one though, so if somebody is occupying this location you’re out of luck.

E.D. Lumley Centre for Engineering Innovation

Of course we all knew the Engineering building was going to be on this list. How can it not be?! The wood tones, open concept layout, and beautiful lighting make the area such a nice environment!  I will note that this is one of my casual study spots and not somewhere I camp out all day. There are lots of classes here so it isn’t a very quiet place. On the rare occasion I do decide to get work done here, I enjoy taking one of the couches and tables on the second floor near the stairway. It’s a great place to hang out and study with your friends as well. If I need to be at a proper desk, I like to take one of the seats in front of rooms 2102-2104. It’s a ledge that overlooks the first floor and you won’t be bothered over there.

Erie Hall

This is my favourite spot on the list; my “hidden gem,” if you will. In the winter this year, my friend and I both had a class in room 1114. Somehow we found out that there aren’t many classes in this room or the one next to it. Now of course, you need to be mindful of those who may have classes in these rooms, but if you can find time where no one is using them, they’re a great spot to study. There are a plethora of spacious tables; this would be a good place to go if you need to work with a group of friends or classmates. I also found that this is an awesome location if you need to practise presenting or public speaking; it really gets you into the same environment. A bonus is that there are whiteboards, so be sure to bring your dry erase markers!

Leddy Library

If all else fails, you know that Leddy will have your back. With the diverse seating options and late hours, this is of course your ideal location to study. For days when I know I need to cram, I love going to the Leddy Library website and booking either a single room, or a group room. You can book up to three-hour slots for twice a day. If you don’t want to book a time slot, there are an ample amount of tables, desks, and partitioned areas to work in. Whenever I’m in Leddy Library, I always like to book myself a study room, or take one of the desks up along the south wall. I don’t have an explanation as to why, I just like those ones!

Liv Brannagan

UWindsor '24

Hi I'm Liv! I am currently studying Forensic Science at the University of Windsor. I love being outside, going on hikes, kayaking, rowing, and goodness I could just go on and on. I am often listening to music, listening to a good podcast, watching a film, or talking (arguing) about any one of those!