This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Back in high school, I actually had time to read books that didn’t involve the word “endometriosis” and scientific terminology. Nowadays, most of my reading is textbook reading, and I barely get time to read for leisure. During the good old days (man do I sound old!), I used to read books ranging from the classics to young adult. As a result of my literary passion, I developed a love for various books. Here are some of my favorite quotes, bound to make you feel some of the same sensations that I felt while reading them:

1)  Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte:

He shall never know I love him: and that, not because he’s handsome, but because he’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made out of, his and mine are the same.

This passage sends chills down my spine. Personally, I find this quote to show the deepest connection you can have with anyone – having your souls be exactly alike. This demonstrates that the connection between Catherine and Heathcliff is a deep one that goes beyond worldly interpretation – it is spiritual.

2)  Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

“In vain I have struggled it will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

This quote demonstrates the ULTIMATE love confession. Mr. Darcy confessing his love is what every girls want to hear: that they are loved and admired to such a great extent. Darcy saying that he can no longer contain his feelings really illustrates how passionate and deep his love is – especially since he tried to “snap out of it” and repress his feelings. All I really can say is, wow.

3) An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

You can love someone, but you can never love people as much as you can miss them.

This quote strikes so close to home. It’s always better to confess your love to someone while they’re still around. When people leave, you’ll still continue to love them, but not as much as you’ll miss them – and that can be more intense. The longing to be with them may override your feelings of love, although they’re not mutually exclusive.

4)  Milk and Honey – Rupi Kaur

“He isn’t coming back,” whispered my head. “He has to,” sobbed my heart.

Several of us have felt this sensation at some point in our lives. We lose the person we love, or we can’t be with them no matter how much we yearn to be with them. We’re stuck in some delusional world where we expect them to return. And when they don’t, you feel your heart sinking, and every breath becomes harder to take. Rupi Kaur literally did THAT – make us experience heartbreak all over again (that’s why I love this quote).

5)  We’ll Always Have Summer – Jenny Han

I loved him in a way that you can really only do the first time around. It’s the kind of love that doesn’t know better, and doesn’t want to – it’s dizzy and foolish and fierce. That kind of love is really a one-time only thing.
Maybe that was how it was with all first loves. They own a little piece of your heart, always.

These quotes go hand in hand. They really just illustrate how deeply our first loves can impact us. It’s adventurous, it makes you feel good, and it’s an impactful type of love. No matter where we are in life and who we’re with, we’ll always remember our first loves as life-changing. However, they are our FIRST true loves. They’ll be in our hearts, but with time and experience, we can move on to more mature love that challenges us – one that isn’t reckless.

These are my favorite quotes to re-read when I’m in the mood for some romance. They really make you experience emotions that you may be holding in, or have blocked out and don’t want to experience (if you don’t want to remember your first love, for instance). They are cathartic for me, as I have memories associated with each of them. Hopefully, you found these relatable, and they invoked emotions within you too.

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.