This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Have you ever met someone and just immediately thought, “Damn, this person is going to be famous one day,” or, “This person is really going to change the world”? Not all superheros wear capes, but they all fight for the same thing: justice. To me, Amy Kwan is a real life superhero. She is beautiful, friendly, intelligent, patient, resourceful, strong, and booming with passion and potential. Need I say more? She is definitely going to be someone who changes the world in one way or another through her selflessness, advocacy, and hard work. She is completing her final year of her BSW and is prepared to make a positive change in the world. I have been absolutely blessed to know Amy for about three years now, and everytime I see her or hear from her, she inspires me and motivates me without even knowing it. She’s small, but mighty.

1. What groups are you involved in on campus?  What groups have you participated in in the past?

On campus, I’m currently President of the Social Work Student Association and a youth researcher for the Tikkun Project. In the past, I’ve been involved as a Peer Counsellor at the Peer Support Centre, a workshop facilitator for the Bystander Initiative, and a Life Skills Member and Module Head for Golden Future South Africa. In my first two years of my University career, I also dabble in the Mental Health Awareness Club as a general volunteer and was involved with the Together We Flourish Community Garden, which was started by students at the University! All were amazing opportunities that I would definitely recommend to anyone!

2. Do you volunteer your time anywhere else?

I’m currently completing my student placement at Pathway to Potential (P2P), which is an agency dedicated to poverty reduction strategies in Windsor-Essex County. As I’m there Monday to Wednesday, I’ve really been surrounded individuals who are passionate about challenging the status quo and have been able to develop my advocacy skills!

3. Do you also work on top of these activities?

I do! I’m very fortunate to be a Residential Counsellor at Hiatus House, an emergency shelter for women and children who have experienced domestic violence. I work on the crisis line and try my best to meet the needs of residents in their everyday life at the shelter.

4. What is your dream career?

I imagine I will have a career where I can intertwine my interests in social justice, policy, and community development. Ideally, I hope to have the opportunity to work with a big-picture mindset but also be able to interact with marginalized populations on a one-to-one basis to ensure they are heard and included. In short… I’m not so sure where my aspirations are going to take me, but I’m excited for the journey!

5. What do you like to do on your free time?

I frequently treat myself to cooking new meals, Netflix and naps with my partner, leisurely walks and talks with my mom, and I wish I had more time for sci-fi books.

6. What do you love best about UWindsor?

The community members – Lancers are always up to something! UWindsor is made up of so many inspiring and passionate individuals with diverse interests and backgrounds. I love that we embrace our differences and come together to create amazing initiatives, student groups, and even everyday class discussions. You win at UWin!

7. Any favourite quotes?

I’m the type of person that has a quote for every occasion, so that’s a tough one! Probably: “Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato.

9. Lastly, do you like Green Day?

They have a song called Amy, and I highly value my friendship with a gal who is probably their biggest fan… so, OF COURSE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G68qe1ew5tE

Taurus. Vegan. Tea lover. Rabbit enthusiast. Aspiring social worker and writer. The proud owner of many pets. Avid reader. Fan of the Office, the Simpsons, and Married...with Children. Judge Judy is my idol. The biggest Green Day fan you'll ever meet. I do also enjoy Muse and Mac DeMarco.
Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.