Life > Experiences

Lessons From Scotland: What I Learned Through UWindsor’s Science Travel Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Over the summer, I had the opportunity to take two courses in Scotland, through a collaboration between the University of Windsor and Strathclyde University in Glasgow, Scotland. The course was 10 days long, designed to be a cultural exchange as well as an opportunity to study with the United Kingdom’s top Forensic Science program.

Over the course of my two weeks in Scotland, I visited numerous museums, attended Strathclyde for labs, and was able to tour the country on my day off, seeing iconic scenery like Loch Ness, the Three Sisters Mountains, and Edinburgh Castle.

Before the course began, I was really worried that I wouldn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would. This was my first solo trip, and I was nervous about the logistics, like how do we get to the airport and where do I get a SIM card?

Once the course actually started, I realized I had nothing to worry about. Even though we had a professor with us leading the classes and getting us to where we needed to be, we had a lot of freedom to explore the city, and we had two full days to do whatever we wanted. The coursework itself was not outrageous, and I found we had a lot of time to complete work in our downtime.

By the time the course ended, I was exhausted but satisfied. I loved my experience and I had amazing stories to tell my friends and family upon my return back home.

For those contemplating taking a travel course through the University of Windsor’s Destination Science Program, I highly recommend applying. I built new friendships, learned more about myself, and had an amazing experience in another country. 

You can find information about the Global Perspective in Science Program through emails sent to  your UWindsor email!

Jaime Nemett

UWindsor '24

Jaime is an undergrad student in Forensics Science with a concentration in Biology at UWindsor. In her spare time, she enjoys reading, music, drawing, and rewatching her favourite TV shows and movies.