This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Let’s face it, most of us don’t exactly find studying enjoyable. The procrastination temptation is all too real, especially when it starts getting warmer outside! But you’ve put so much work into the semester, you don’t want to give up now.

Here are some tried and true methods I’ve come up with myself, advice I’ve gained from profs, and tricks I’ve seen used by other students. Chances are, at least one of these methods is going to work for you, so give it a shot and go for that A+.

1)      The Repetition Method

Look at the notes you took in class. If they’re written, type them. If they’re typed, write them. Read them over and over again. Summarize information and write it on cue cards. Read the cue cards between reading the longer notes. Just keep going over the information until you can answer questions about it automatically.

2)      The Schedule Method

This is especially helpful if your exam schedule is jam-packed. A week before any given exam, go over your notes in whatever way you find most helpful. Do this for 50 minutes, then take a 10 minute break. When the break is over, spend 50 minutes on the subject of your next exam, then take another 10 minute break, and so on. You won’t get bored of the same subject this way and you’ll make sure to go over information for every exam.

3)      The Meditation Method

Look at a single topic/idea/concept in your notes and read it out loud to yourself (or mouth the sounds if you’re in a busy space). Think about it and spend a few minutes meditating on it. Don’t move on to the next idea until you feel you truly understand the first. This helps to put information into your long-term memory, as well as decrease stress.

4)      The Visual Learner Method

If pictures help you remember things better than words do, don’t just go over diagrams! Think about different ideas in your notes and how they could be represented as pictures. Draw the pictures and think about the concept while going over them. Doodling also decreases stress!

5)      The Very Busy Person Method

If you don’t have much time to actually sit down and study, listen to your notes! This works best if you’ve already recorded class lectures or downloaded audio files of text books. If you don’t have either, try finding time to read your own notes out loud once and record it. While you’re working out, walking to class, or riding the bus, listen to your notes.

Remember that studying isn’t the only way to do well on exams. It’s important to eat healthy, exercise whenever possible, and get at least a couple hours of sleep to function. Everyone knows all-nighters are unavoidable at times, so here’s a hack for those too: pull one two nights before the exam so you have time to sleep the night before.         

Study hard and good luck collegiettes! I believe in you.

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.