John Mysak, Locally Famous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

When did you first become interested in art?

I suppose I first became interested in art the minute I discovered the evolution of the most popular styles of the Grand Masters of painting. You know, Franz Hals, Leonarda Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Rembrandt, etc. I’m attempting to become a Renaissance man, someone who is complete, someone who is attempting to become the most complete as he can be. Warrior, soldier, artist, scholar; maybe in that order maybe not. I needed a new challenge and I found that in the School of Creative Arts at the University of Windsor.

Since you didn’t take many art classes in high school, how did you learn?

Practice. Hyperrealism takes patience and deliberation, not spur of the moment passion.

Describe your artistic style?

I am a hyperrealist. I want people to walk into galleries of my art and be mesmerized by the level of dera contained within each piece and not be able to look away.

Where would you like to go with your art in the future?

No idea. The further I can reproduce reality, the better.

Who are some artists you admire?

Chuck Close, Diego Fazio, and Emmanuel Dascanio.

What is some advice you would give to young artists?

Understand that your work is meaningless without any conceptual context. Also, that the industry is heavily manipulated. Don’t expect to get rich until after you’re dead.

What has been your greatest challenge as an artist?

Learning how to use other mediums that I’m unfamiliar with. I wasn’t a photographer or sculptor, or painter, or filmmaker before I went back to the university. I might still not be. I’ve never painted in earnest before my time in university.

Do you plan on having an exhibition in the near future?

Maybe, if I have a body of work suitable for an exhibition.

Around LeBel you’re certainly a celebrity. How do you feel about the success of your art?

I think my work the last one-and-a-half years has been somewhat mediocre; give me time.

If I asked you to draw me a squirrel riding a rocket ship to the moon with a dystopian planet earth below it, would you?

Only if I could draw a horse riding a jockey while listening to ‘Heavy Metal’ by Don Felder.

All photographs are of artwork created by John Mysak

I am one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus UWindsor. I am enrolled in English & Creative Writing and Visual Arts. Art, music, and writing are my obsessions! But my heart also belongs to books and big dogs.