This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

People wouldn’t typically lump science and religion together. Not that I blame them – a lot of faith revolves around believing in the unseen. But to those who believe that religion and science don’t mix, I’m here to tell you that Islam and science have a strong relationship! So much that is said in the Qur’an corresponds with what science has to say. Don’t believe me? Read on, my friends!

Stars

A lot has been said regarding astronomy in the Qur’an. Let’s narrow it down to stars since astronomy is such a broad topic on its own. In Surah Al-An’am (The Chapter of The Cattle), it says, “And He it is who created the stars so that you use them to navigate in the depths of darkness on land and in the oceans (of water or space). Behold! We have described in detail Our Signs for a people who have knowledge!” Interesting, huh? Let’s review: the Ayah (verse) suggests that the stars are a guide for lost souls. The “knowledge” that’s stated in the verse points to the laws that empower humankind to chart their journeys on Earth and space. The use of stars to navigate when it’s dark requires a lot of visual observation and mathematical reasoning. So, to sum it all up, though I believe it’s pretty self-explanatory, the Ayah states that the stars were created for us to journey in the dark. Do you remember Moana using the stars to navigate her boat in the dark in the movie Moana? How about that!

Iron

Iron is highlighted and even has its own chapter in the Qur’an. Iron is considered a miracle, and here’s why. In Surah Al-Hadeed (The Chapter of Iron), it states, “And We also sent down iron in which there lies great force and which has many uses for mankind.” The iron that we have on Earth comes from outer space – it’s not man made. Iron was carried in supernovas and was “sent down,” as stated in the Ayah, to Earth through a meteorite. It has several benefits as well, which are also suggested in the verse. Without iron, there wouldn’t be carbon-based life in the cosmos, but there is an intimate relationship between life and iron. There’s iron in our blood, right? Also, iron oxide particles have been used in recent months for cancer treatments with positive outcomes. It’s pretty interesting that iron is specified in the Qur’an, and it makes sense – iron is an important element. 

Water

In Islam, it is believed that life originated from water. I want to discuss two verses from the Qur’an, both regarding the importance and science of water. So, we all know that 70% of water covers the Earth, right? And water has been discovered on planets like Mars, the Milky Way, and other galaxies, correct? In Surah Al-Anbiya (The Chapter of The Prophets) a verse says, “Do not the Unbelievers see that the heavens and the earth we joined together (as one Unit of Creation) before we clove them asunder? We made from water every living thing.” Joined together? The “Unit of Creation?” Isn’t the Earth made of 70% water? I see a connection here! Also, in Surah An-Nur (The Chapter of The Light), there is an Ayah which states, “And God has created every animal from water: of them there are some that creep on their bellies; some that walk on two legs; and some that walk on four. God creates what He wills; for verily God has power over all things.” It’s not just the Earth that’s made up of water – we are as well. As babies, we’re made of 75% water. As we grow older, we become about 60% water. And the human brain – get this – is composed of 90% water. We as human beings live on the basis of water! 

Embryos

Pregnancy and giving birth are considered miracles – scientific and religious miracles. In Surah Al-Mu’minun (The Chapter of the Believers), it says, “We created man from an extract of clay. Then we made him as a drop in a place of settlement, firmly fixed. Then We made the drop into an alaqah, then We made the alaqah into a mudghah.” The term alaqah translates to “blood clot” and “leech.” This is a comparison between a leech and an embryo – the embryo obtains nourishment from the pregnant mother’s blood, like a leech. It also means blood clot, as mentioned before, and is explained as such: the embryo’s external appearance during this stage is similar to a blood clot. That’s because there are large amounts of blood in the embryo, and it does not circulate until the end of the third week of pregnancy. Due to this, the embryo is a clot of blood. Now, the term mudghah means “chewed substance.” It sounds a little strange, doesn’t it? Let me explain – if you were to chew a piece of gum and compare the appearance of it to an embryo, they would probably look pretty similar. During the stage of the embryo, it looks like it’s chewed up and crumpled, or a “chewed substance.”

There are several more scientific revelations and facts found in the Qur’an which you can easily look up online! I highly recommend it for further reading. It’s incredibly interesting, and what’s further revealed in the Qur’an is just amazing. 

Sources:

https://www.islamreligion.com/articles/562/miracle-of-iron/

https://www.ecomena.org/water-islam/

https://www.islam-guide.com/ch1-1-a.htm

Nawal Jasey is the Writing Director at the Her Campus UWindsor Chapter. She is responsible for scheduling writers for article postings as well as writing articles herself. Prior to this, she was part of the writing team as a simple writer. Her content normally depicts entertainment, life experiences, and personal cultural and/or religious topics. Nawal attends the University of Windsor as a senior undergraduate under the English program, where she mainly studies different branches of English literature including Victorian, Renaissance, Restoration, and more. Furthermore, she studies creative writing to pursue her dream of becoming an author. She attends several reading events hosted by different authors to help inspire her creative writing. She has independently published a fiction fantasy novel and continues to write more stories for the future. In her free time, Nawal loves to read and write fiction and epic fantasy novels. She would rather shop for books than for clothes any day. She is an anime and manga lover and considers herself a massive and proud nerd. She enjoys baking and playing the piano (not at all professionally) while cuddling her adorable kitty named Sabo.