Culture > News

How To Slow Down The End To Our Earthly Video Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

GAME OVER” is what you read at the end of a tragic video game death, and our metaphorical  video game death is creeping up on us quickly with the climate change issues our planet is facing. The wildfires in California, snowstorms in Texas, and the ruthless slaughter of animals are all leading to our demise. As someone who tries their best to stand up for the environment.  I am not perfect, nor is anyone, but despite these challenges the more people we have helping the planet, the better our chances are. 

Since our planet’s health is crucial to our own health and survival, our efforts to save the planet should be our main video game quest. So, without further ado, here are 4 ways you can be environmentally active for your school’s next social justice week, or, preferably whenever you possibly can, to help save Mother Earth!

1. DON’T LITTER! This may seem like common sense but if you just look around, there are so many people that litter! They throw garbage out of their car windows, don’t throw out their trash, and throw their dog waste bags onto the grass. Something so simple as recycling your plastics instead of throwing them onto the sidewalk and throwing trash in garbage pails is a great place to start helping out the planet and an awesome way to set an example for the younger generations. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

2. ECO-FRIENDLY PRODUCTS! Eco-friendly products are products that don’t use single-use plastic packaging and are biodegradable and earthsafe. Places like Shop Eco have great eco-friendly soap options for conditioners, shampoos, and body washes! They also sell other beauty and self-care products too. Bulk food stores often have large containers so that  you can bring your own reusable jars to fill up on foods like beans, pastas, spreads and much more. However, these alternatives to single-use plastics tend to be more expensive and not everyone can make such changes, but even the smallest things can help.

3. SMALL LIFE CHANGES! There are things you can try to do on a day-to-day basis that help the fight against global warming. For example, you can  winter-proof your home so it stays warmer in the cold months and find ways to cool it during the summer. When we have fewer heaters and A/C running, we put out less emissions into the air. You can also eat organic or local foods, try to use as much renewable energy as possible, and hang dry your clothes! People don’t realize that even  small things, like walking or biking wherever you can rather than driving, will eventually start to make a huge impact on the planet. The more we work together, the better the outcome will be for us!

4. START A CONVERSATION! Many people don’t do anything to  reduce their climate effects because they don’t know what is going on in the world. Something as simple as posting a well-researched infographic on your social media page can help raise awareness for the climate change issues that affect all of our lives, whether we know about them or not. Going to climate conferences held by your schools, attending rallies and marches, and donating to charities and organizations can help all of us in our fight against the climate crisis. 

Although some people won’t be able to help through the ways listed above, it is important to know how to find information. 2 great informative options are the David Suzuki Foundation and Climate News

So before  the tragic end to our beautiful planet, what  quest are you going to choose to help humanity beat climate change once and for all? 

Zelia Piasentin

UWindsor '25

Hi :) My name is Zelia Piasentin and I am a Psychology major at the University of Windsor! I haven't fully decided on my post-grad career, but I want to help others in any way I can. Some of my hobbies include reading, writing, painting, and creating letters for my pen pal. I also love camping and going for walks with my dog! You can find me on Instagram @zeliapiasentin, I'm always open to new friends!!