This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Eid was the most exciting time of the year for me, even more so when I was a child. The excitement and joy that I felt the night before and the day of were always indescribable. From the food to the gifts and family time, I was immensely glad to celebrate it twice a year. As Muslims, we celebrate two holidays yearly, called Eid Al Fitr and Eid al Adha. These two holidays were always such a joyous time for my family. However, as I grew older, I began to lose sight of the joy surrounding Eid. There was no more childhood magic left. It just felt like any other day. I feared for a long time that I would lose my childlike joy for Eid and that it would just become a day that I would book off from work, especially if I ever moved away from my family. It took me a while to realize that what made Eid feel like Eid was the traditions that my mother created. It was the fact that I looked forward to the 6 am prayer at the Mosque, the smell of the desserts and food being prepped the night before, and most importantly, my family being together in one place. It became very important for me to preserve these traditions and create new ones as well. I eventually realized that you truly get out of Eid what you put into it, and I have ever since regained a new-found joy and excitement for it. 

I fondly remember my family spending the night before Eid cleaning, cooking, and getting ready for the festivities to come throughout my childhood. I distinctly remember that every year, my mom would buy each of us a new toy and a new Eid outfit that we weren’t allowed to see until the morning of Eid. On Eid day, we would start our day at 6 am for the morning prayer at the Mosque followed by a 9 am nap. Then we would spend the afternoon visiting neighbours and family. We usually ended our night by going to an amusement park and eating take-out for dinner.  Life back then just seemed so simple and dream-like. 

Nowadays, my sister and I have made it a habit to buy comfy pajamas for Eid and spend the night before watching old movies together, reminiscing about the past, and planning out the day to come. On the day of Eid, my family and I still go to our morning prayers and then, we eat a homemade breakfast. We split up after breakfast, with everyone free to do as they wish with their day, as long as they make it back in time for the family dinner. My sister and I usually call friends and family to wish them Eid Mubarak and watch a movie or go shopping.

Eid is still one of my favourite times of the year, and I will continue to preserve old traditions and create new ones as I get older.

Ayat Ibrahim

UWindsor '24

Ayat is a fourth year English Literature student, lover of cats, food and coffee. In her spare time, she can be found either reading or watching bad sitcoms.