How to Maintain a Long-Distance Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

When friends move away for school it can be hard to maintain the same relationship you had with them as before. Two of my best friends moved to Ottawa for school last year and I found out how hard it was to have a long -distance friendship. The most important thing is to not let go of those friends. Yes, it may be harder to see and talk to them, but you can make time. Even if you don’t have time, don’t forget about them. You will regret it if you lose them for no reason other than distance. Here are some things that can help you to maintain a long-distance friendship.

1. Skype and Face Time

These video chat apps are amazing to keep in touch with people. I have Skype dates all the times with my friends. I find it’s even better than a phone call because it’s almost as if you are in the same room as them. Setting aside certain times to video chat your friends is so important. You should keep updated on each other’s lives. Even if you only talk for an hour a month, you can give each other a rundown on what they missed.

2. Snapchat

Some people may not like Snapchat, but it’s a great way to stay updated with what is going on in your friend’s life without lengthy conversations.

3. Follow Up

Skype is great to catch up for a couple of hours but make sure to keep updated through the week. If your friend told you she had a huge midterm during the week text her and wish her good luck the day of or call her and asked her how it went. Just because you’re not there doesn’t mean you can’t still be there for them.

4. Support and Encourage

As their friend you are still entitled to support and encourage them, and make sure that the distance isn’t stopping you from doing that.

5. Make Time to See Them During Breaks

Even though your reading weeks may not line up or you may be super busy when they come home for Christmas, it’s still important to make time for them when they actually are in the same city as you. Talking on the phone and skyping is great but sometimes you just need to cuddle up with fuzzy blankets and watch a chick flick with your best friend.

6. Visit Them

It’s not always easy and affordable to take the time to travel where your friend is, but if you can make the time it is one hundred percent worth it. You can see the city they live in and the campus and meet all of their new friends which is a great experience for you and for them.

7.  Send Presents and Letters

Letters are so great to send and receive and always put a smile on the recipient’s face. Also, if you’re used to giving your friend birthday presents, mailing them presents can make them very happy and remind them that even though they are away, you still thought of them.

8. Don’t Lose Traditions

It’s important to maintain any traditions you may have with your friends. If you’ve seen every movie of a series together but the last one is coming out when you aren’t together (Like seeing Mocking Jay Part 2), wait and see it together; it will be worth it. If you always spend Halloween together, watching scary movies and eating candy, just postpone it and do these things Christmas break. Whatever it is, you can make it work. You will always remember the traditions.

9. Don’t Let the Bumps Tear You Apart

Even though there might be some issues, like they won’t be there to celebrate your birthday, or you didn’t tell them about your new boyfriend because you haven’t had a chance to Skype them recently, it’s okay. Your relationship with them may change, as it is now long distance, but you can get through it, and don’t let something silly like distance tear you apart.

10. Don’t Ever Forget Them!

Even though yes, you will make many other new friends, always remember the friend that doesn’t live in the same area as you anymore. It’s so important to keep the friendships with them and in the end it will be very worth it. 

Hi everyone, my name is Sadie and I am a third year student studying Sociology. My hobbies include reading, writing, horseback riding, and eating sushi with friends.
Bryanna Millben

Laurier Brantford '20

Hi! I'm a fourth-year at Wilfrid Laurier University working towards a BA in English with a minor in History, and the Campus Correspondent/President for HC Laurier Brantford. I have a super sweet golden retriever named Marley, and aspire to work in Public Relations.