How I’m Using Notion to Start My Best Year Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

The fall semester of my third year in university threw me for a loop. To be clear, I’ve never been the perfect student. Procrastination and I go way back. This semester, I hit an all-time low. I took tests about books I’d never read and handed assignments in late. I kept thinking, this isn’t me. I used to have routines, habits, and goals; I romanticized my life, especially school, and I had a strong sense of self. However, various stressors and uncertainties led me to gasp for air while trying to fulfil my most basic responsibilities. Needless to say, I was relieved when the winter break came. The break gave me time to think about who I am, who I want to be, and how to bridge the gap between those two versions of myself. That’s where Notion came in. 

If you haven’t heard of Notion, it’s a platform where users can, as the Notion website states, “think, write, and plan.” On Notion, you can create pages using various tools, such as text, images, tables, to-do lists, and calendars. Notion has many free page templates, from a weekly to-do list to a thesis planner. If you’d prefer, you can start with a blank page and customize it to your heart’s content. The possibilities are endless. If you are a foodie, you can make a Notion page of your favourite recipes. If you love movies, you can use a Notion table to write your reviews. 

Notion is the perfect tool to help me reinvent my life; it allows me to plan the comprehensive approach to self-improvement that I clearly need. Before I got to planning, I made a list of New Year’s resolutions. Then, I created Notion pages that would help me reach these goals. On the homepage of my Notion, I made a table of contents with four main headings: productivity, school, health, and personal. I decorated my home page with pictures from Gilmore Girls and a Rory Gilmore study playlist to evoke productive and cozy vibes. Under each heading of the table of contents, I have links to pages to help me stay organized, motivated, and accountable while reaching my goals.

Since I set a goal to maintain morning and night routines, I made a daily routine page located in the productivity section of my home page. I want to return to the gym and cook healthy meals this year, so I filled the health section with three pages: my workout plan, grocery lists, and meal ideas. One of my resolutions is to keep track of my money, so I created a budget page under the productivity heading. No matter my goals, Notion allows me to track my progress and stay motivated.

I know I’m in for a hard semester this winter, but I am not going to let it tear me down like it did in the fall. I am going to use Notion to stay on top of my necessary tasks and become my best self this year. If you are looking for a way to get organized and maintain your resolutions, perhaps try Notion!  

Dahlia Cornell is a writer at the University of Windsor’s chapter of Her Campus. As a student who loves self-improvement, Dahlia enjoys crafting articles about trends, wellness, and academics. Her other areas of interest include local events and life experiences. Dahlia is in her third year at the University of Windsor, studying English Language and Literature. Dahlia aspires to further her studies after her English degree to have a career in education, writing, or law. No matter what career path she chooses, Dahlia is determined to incorporate creative writing into her future. She would love to write and publish a novel. Outside of school and Her Campus, Dahlia enjoys crocheting, watching Halloween movies, trying different coffee shops, and going on walks. She spends too much time curating her Pinterest boards and daydreaming about Victorian houses. Dahlia should spend more time trying to read the excessive amount of books she buys.