books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to get into the Back to School Grind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

School is starting up again, and I’m just returning from my first university summer. I’m experiencing quite the adjustment returning to school… I can’t seem to get a grasp on doing school work. I can’t imagine only having a 2 month summer but 4 months is a long time not to do anything academic or have to balance the workload of school. Here are some of the ways I’m trying to get back into the school year grind:

1. Use a planner.

After your first week of classes you’ll have 5 syllabuses, one for each class, that are full of important dates. The best way to remember them is to jot them down in a planner. It’s also a great way to get a glance at the future and to plan out your semester months at a time.

2.  Write it down.

I found myself having 6 different ways to take notes for each class. It was confusing remembering whether I had to bring a laptop, a notebook, or both. So I wrote it down. That way, I can just glance at the paper and remember what I need to bring. If anything seems overwhelming, it’s easy to just write it down and work through the problem.

3. Stick to your guns.

It’s so tempting, after 4 months of doing nothing, to just continue doing nothing. It’s very hard to switch your mentality from summer to busy school life all at once. Don’t let yourself slip through the cracks. Stick to your guns and go to class, take your notes, and it will get easier.

4. Try changing things up.

It’s a new school year and new classes. Just because one way of organizing worked for you last year doesn’t mean it will this year. If it’s not working, try changing things up and finding a new fit.

5. Don’t overwhelm yourself.

Finding your balance can be hard, and it will feel overwhelming at times when nothing seems to work. Make sure you don’t let the pressure get to you. Have fun, go out with friends, and have some “me time.” Everything will fall together eventually, and you’ll be back into the swing of things in no time.

Meghan is a second year English Major at the University of Windsor. She is minoring in Environmental Science. Meghan loves fashion, reading and writing, and nature/the environment. She hopes to enter the world of Editing or Journalism after University. Meghan is excited to share her ideas and opinions with the Her Campus followers!