Career

How Did You Decide Where to Go to College?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Yep, you read the title right! How did you decide where to go to college? What were your deciding factors?

Now, everyone’s different. Still, I’ve decided to compile a little list of some topics that may assist you in deciding on the school for your academic ventures, whether that be going for your undergrad, graduate degree, or simply to lend a hand to a friend!

1.     Trust your instincts.

a.     This one is a given. Choosing a college for your future plans requires a lot of thinking, but just like how the first answer you circle on a test usually ends up being right, your gut feeling probably is too. The choice is yours, so make sure you put your gut  first before you let any coercion get in the way. However, remain logical. 

2.     Consider class size.

a.     Generally, a smaller class size equals a better learning experience. Therefore, you may have an opportunity for more hands-on learning and creating a deeper bond with peers and professors. However, that usually also means having a smaller campus. Larger campuses, on the other hand, typically offer more programs and clubs. Some may also have greater research facilities and job connections.

3.     Location.

a.     Do you want to save money and stay near home or venture off elsewhere and explore? Do you want to go to school somewhere  you could see yourself settling in the near future? Pick a location that suits your needs and preferences. Sometimes, spending the extra money is worth it for your mental health and space. There are many factors to consider when deciding where and how far away you want to go to school, so make a list of pros and cons, and go from there.

4.     Research opportunities for extracurriculars and research.

a.     If you know what program you want to go into, this deciding factor becomes a little easier. Does the program at the school offer research opportunities? Is it accredited? What kinds of reviews do the professors have? Is it a well-rated school?

5.     Consider your budget.

a.     This is one of your most important factors. Make a budget for tuition, and be mindful of extra expenses like your textbooks, meal plans, and transport plans. Also, be aware of any  scholarships/financial aid you may be eligible to receive. Go on to the website of the school you want to go to, and look up tuition calculators to aid in your planning as well.

6.     Visit the campus in person.

a.     A feel for the atmosphere is a must. Do you feel connected to it, and does it feel like you would feel comfortable here for the next few years of school? Book campus tours for the few campuses you feel interested in, and connect with current students and staff! You may gain insight on whether or not this is the school for you.
There are so many more factors that may influence where you decide on going to school, and hopefully this gives you a point to start at. I wish you guys the best of luck in your future endeavours and studies! If you have any questions or would like to add to this list, email us at hc.uwindsor@hercampus.com

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!