Holiday Traditions to Incorporate in a Hospital Setting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Since this week’s theme is holiday traditions, I thought I would focus on the hospital, a place that should feel like home for those in the hospital during that special  time of year. As a nurse in training, when I asked clients how they were doing during daily morning rounds, one thing became quite clear: They miss their beds, families, and homes. During the holiday season, this feeling intensifies. As healthcare workers, what can we do to make their hospital stay feel like home? Here are some holiday traditions and activities that you (as a nurse, healthcare worker, or visitor) can incorporate into your visits to make the holiday season merrier and cozier!

1. Decorate the nursing station.

• a. Work with your team to evoke the holiday spirit! Add garlands, a mini Christmas tree, ornaments, music, treats and whatever else you may need to make the space cozy! Have fun with it and get creative. Remember, patients in the hospital need a little bit of fun too!

2. Visitors and family can bring holiday décor and special family traditions into the hospital to make residents feel more at home.

• a. Social workers (and anyone facilitating family meetings) should encourage family traditions to be maintained during the hospital stay (if possible). Set up technology for FaceTime calls, encourage family members and friends to visit, bring gifts, and make the client feel involved even though they’re away from home.

3. Set up an inclusive unit Christmas tree.

• a. Have the patients and staff participate if they can! Set up a unit Christmas tree and personalize it! Add paper-laminated ornaments with each clients’ initials for a unique touch that makes the clients feel like they matter and belong.

4. Make warm holiday treats and drinks (based on dietary needs).

• a. Organize an event to include holiday treats on the trays for meals. Ensure you note the dietary restrictions of each client in this process. Change their meals over the holiday season so it feels special and homey.

5. Facilitate secret Santa gift exchanges and Christmas morning gift opening.

• a. Organize a secret Santa gift exchange among staff and have families bring in gifts for the clients so everyone can feel involved. If appropriate, staff can also budget in clients who may not have family and treat them as well. It can be as simple as a candy cane for everyone!

6. Holiday photoshoot.

• a. Have a unit photoshoot or a photoshoot of each patient that can be put up on the tree if appropriate. Get as creative as you can in incorporating the clients. It doesn’t have to be a costly intervention or require too much time. Even the smallest gestures can make their day if they feel loved and cared for.

I’m sure there are more ideas you could incorporate or ideas that hospitals already use. Maybe even play some holiday-themed music could make all the difference! It’s all up to you. The traditions stem from happiness and making the place like home for those you care for. There’s no right or wrong way to do this. Let us know if you have any more suggestions at hc.uwindsor@hercampus.com!

Gauri Kumar

UWindsor '24

A dedicated, enthusiastic and driven Nursing Student at the University of Windsor with a passion for providing support and quality health care to our community. In her free time, she enjoys finding opportunities to support others, get involved, and take on challenges. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out!