This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Hey, ghosts and ghouls! Welcome back to the second edition of our  Halloween Special. The weather is getting chillier, and I’m sipping on a pumpkin spice latte in full Halloween-mode. Grab a warm drink, put on some fuzzy socks, and join me as we embark on today’s look at the Ouija Board. The ouija board is a board with various sorts of alphabetical letters, numerical letters, and an assortment of various symbols. It originated over a 100 years ago, and is based on the technique of automatic employed in 1100 A.D., in China.  It is rumored to allow individuals to communicate with the ‘other side’. It constitutes the plot of some horror movies and various YouTube videos. Some mediums use it to make a living, and it’s a typical party-game for teenagers.

Traditionally you need candles, a glass (or a planchette that is included with most boards), and the lights turned off to create that eerie environment. You begin by asking if anyone is there. The glass will then move by itself to either yes, no, or you’ll get no response. If you do elicit a response from the spirit, you can ask more personal questions about who you may be talking to, details from the spirit’s life, and what they want from you.

There are mixed reviews about the Ouija Board. Is it true? Does it work? What are you inviting into your home? For a lot of individuals who have lost a loved one, this board allows them to communicate with their loved one, reminisce about old memories, and help them move on. But for others it is a big no-no.

Critics argue that you are unaware what spirit you are inviting into your house, you don’t know how long the spirit may reside in your house, and you may be opening the door for a potentially malevolent entity. There are stories that people have shared about demonic activity and other strange occurrences in their homes, such as doors opening, feeling uncertain around a particular area of their home, and much much more (which you can view on the internet).

Additionally, critics also argue that these boards are in fact nothing but a scam; a tool used to prey on the most vulnerable. They claim Mediums exploit people who have lost a loved one. The planchette (triangular tool which people place two fingers to move) may just be moved by the medium’s fingers – ideomotor phenomenon. This would trick the clients into thinking that their loved one is responding to their queries – instead it could be due to them or the medium subconsciously moving the planchette.

Is the Ouija Board really worth busting out this Halloween? Is it a scam? Is it preying on the most vulnerable? Are you really inviting something malevolent into your home? That’s for you to decide. But be wary.  If the myth about the malevolent spirits is true, be wary, friends, and use this board with caution. Until next week, folks!

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.