Geting involved With Research as an Undergrad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Research is defined as the “careful study that is done to find and report new knowledge”. So if you have the curiosity to solve unanswered questions and are motivated to search for the truth through ethical research practices, research may be something that is right up your alley!

There may be many subjects that capture your interest enough to want to methodically examine them. As an undergraduate student, there are many opportunities that are available to satisfy your curiosity of making connections and discoveries.

Before you get involved there are two things to do ahead of time! First is to create a list of goals, and second is to understand and complete the Tri-Council Policy Statement.

1) Create a List Of Goals

This list can be short-term and long-term academic related goals. From this list, branch off and dot down a few of your interests. The great thing about learning is that there are no limits. If you enjoy learning about biology, but have research interests in psychology, you can study psychology topics separately, or in combination with biology.

2) Understand and Complete the tutorial for Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans

For the TCPS 2, you are required to read through the ethics policies that are available online and answer questions. The TCPS 2 online questions are an interactive learning experience with 8 modules. Once you have completed all 8 modules, at your own pace, you will be awarded with a certificate of completion. It’s kinda cool to have your name on a research certificate!

Based on the above, when all the groundwork is all set and done, you are ready to go. Here are 6 additional things you can do to get involved!

1) Enroll in Research & Statistics Courses

A good way to learn about research practices, methods, and data collection is by taking research related courses. For example, the Social Science Research Methods at the University of Windsor has an assignment that requires students to complete a naturalistic observational study! Additionally, having taken basic or intermediate statistics courses will be helpful when doing higher level research.

2) Consider Whether Your Program Offers a Thesis Track

If your program offers a thesis track, you will have a chance to work with your assigned supervisor/professor! For example, in the Psychology program, the classes you can take are 02-46-496 and 02-46-497. Additionally, 02-46-400 is a Selected Topics in Psychology class where the professor that teaches the course is able to choose whichever topics he/she would like to cover. If you are not a Psychology major, ask your undergraduate adviser for classes that are similar to the three suggested.

3) Outstanding Scholars Program

Some universities have an OUTS program where individuals with a 90+ average are able to be automatically paired with professors who are doing research projects. Your university might have a similar program with an alternative title. Don’t worry if you are not part of this program, there are many other ways to get involved!

4) Network with Professors and Graduate Assistants

Sometimes the authoritative role of the professors leaves students overlooking the fact that professors are just like us: open-minded and willing to learn! Students can seek other research assistant positions through networking with their professors. Professors usually are required to conduct research in addition to teaching students. Networking with professors is a great way to get to know them on an individual level, understand their areas of research interests, and become aware of any projects that they are currently doing. Once you have an idea of some professors’ research directions, find a professor whose interests match up with yours. Some professors ask their students to work with them as their research assistants- so feel free to ask them to get involved! Graduate Assistants may reach out for help as well! Your GA’s will also be available to help guide you and answer any questions you may have.

5) Apply For Research Grants

The Undergraduate Research Experience Grant, at the University of Windsor, is a great way to get your foot-in-the-door of the research world! In order to apply for the grant a student must; have an idea, work individually or build a team, find a professor to supervise, and have the topic approved by the Research Ethics Board. The key is to find a professor who is willing to supervise and guide you through your project. The worst case scenario is that the professor is unable to supervise your work, but the best case scenario is that they are able to direct you to a professor who is able to or has similar interests as you!

6) Volunteer At Local Research Labs

Lastly, look up some local research labs in which you can volunteer at! If you have a placement/internship, seek out an opportunity to work with a research lab too.

Melissa is a Social Work and Psychology student at the University of Windsor and just recently joined Her Campus! She describes herself as an empath, future thinker, and coffee connoisseur. Melissa enjoys staying up-to-date on the latest beauty trends, writing for Her Campus, hanging out with family and friends, and spending time with her Maltese Shih Tzu puppy. Contact: ristovsm@uwindsor.ca