This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

Unfortunately, we didn’t have fluffy white snow around the holidays, but we have it now! I’m not so much a fan of the cold weather, and I’m definitely not too keen on shoveling snow off my driveway everyday! That being said — it can be a ton of fun, and it’s free! Below I’m going to list some of my favorite winter activities for when it’s cold and snowy  outside. 

1. Tobogganing

One of the best parts about the recent winter storms we’ve been getting is the giant loads of fluffy snow! The hills all over town have been completely covered. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t gone tobogganing in YEARS and it’s probably the closest thing to a winter rollercoaster. 

1. Skating

Something that I’m not very good at, but I love doing: skating. I’m not sure why, but as many times as I’ve gone throughout my life it’s a skill that I can’t quite master. With Covid-19 restrictions right now, not many indoor rinks are open for public skating, but there are several outdoors! The one that is managed by the city of Windsor requires appointments to be booked ahead of time, but that doesn’t have to  stop you from going, or finding elsewhere. So long as it’s cold enough and the water is frozen, there are many ponds you can find that you can use. All you need is a shovel to clear the snow!

1. Snowball fights

This would probably be my little brother’s favorite activity on this list. If you love competition and have tons of energy to burn, this is the game for you. I always loved snowball fights  as a kid. Just be sure to watch out for any ice that could be hidden in the snow! This can be a very harmless and playful activity that can be a lot of fun. 

1. Building snow igloos

Again, one of my little brother’s favorite things to do. Although this might not be the most appealing activity as you get older, it’s fun to engage a younger crowd to do. If you have younger siblings, or find yourself babysitting, it’s a great activity that can get everyone involved!

1. Drinking hot chocolate

This is probably my absolute favorite activity on this list. Sure, it’s not technically an “activity,” but who doesn’t love drinking hot chocolate?! After one of the previously mentioned activities above, get inside and get the water boiling! This can be a nice moment for you and whomever you’re with to talk about the fun times you just had, and of course — warm up. 

All in all, there are many more winter activities that you can get involved with, but I hope that the few I mentioned above inspire you to get out there and dive into the snow!

Olivia Stanco

UWindsor '23

Hello my name is Olivia! I hope you love reading my articles just as much as I love writing them.