This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UWindsor chapter.

During the past few weeks, Israel has greatly harmed Palestinians during the month of Ramadan. This started when Muslims at Al-Aqsa Mosque gathered to pray during one of the holiest nights in Ramadan. Israeli police wrongfully started firing stun grenades and rubber-coated metal bullets at the worshippers. This resulted in injuries and then led to further conflict. A two-week one-sided conflict ensued that involved launching rockets and killing civilians. Most of the deaths were Palestinian and involved 212 people, out of which 61 were innocent children . There were only 10 Israeli deaths, as reported so far. 

Many Zionists (a term used to refer to those who support the apartheid state of Israel) have claimed that Hamas, a terrorist organization in Gaza, is retaliating and harming Israelis. This notion is entirely false. You cannot expect to go into someone’s home, violate their belongings, and then expect them not to retaliate. It is also worth mentioning that the Israel Defense Force is an actual army fully funded by Western nations, has its own weapons, and other trained personnel to harm Palestinians and incite violence. Many soldiers within the IDF have taken to social media to mock Palestinian death, disguised under the pretense of “patriotism.” When the Al-Aqsa Mosque was damaged during Ramadan, Israelis rejoiced and celebrated with fireworks. They also paraded around and said, “Yimach shemam (may their names be erased).” 

Many people in Western countries are also displaying anti-Semitism and equating Judaism with Israel. This is wrong, and I do not support this in any way, shape, or form. This is NOT a religious issue. This is a genocide, identifying what’s right versus wrong and advocating for the minority issue. This isn’t a fair fight, and that should be acknowledged. Palestinians do NOT have the upper hand and are being bullied by the IDF, Israeli government, and Zionists. That is the issue. We must focus on using our platforms (even if you aren’t “educated” enough) and attending protests (when it is safe to do so and based on COVID restrictions). It is your job to do your own research and not fall prey to biases; however, it is clear based on the heaps of evidence (the IDF bombing Palestinian refugee camps and hospitals that were providing aid) of who the oppressor is versus the oppressed. Lastly, there can’t be “peace” when you are forced to live with the oppressor on your own land. We should not provide our own solutions to this one-sided war because this undermines its complexity and is a “Western” solution. Do your research and advocate for a Free Palestine!

This is an anonymous account hosted by our team mascot, Morty the Monkey. This article was written by a UWindsor student.